Have Hope, It Can Get Better. It Did for Me.

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Annie.36, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Annie.36

Annie.36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I want to share a tinnitus story with a happy ending. I think often it is the people suffering who take the time to post since obviously it's so urgent feeling in their life. I think for those who get better, most don't post because they have moved on to other concerns. Because of that tendency, when someone who just gets tinnitus starts reading forums, it can look bleak. I want you to know that for many, it gets better so hang in there and have patience, ok?

Mine started over 6-months ago when I got a bad cold. It was so maddening, I cried myself to sleep, if I could sleep. It was intense ringing in both ears for a month or two and then it slowly little by little lessened. I found having my husband whisper sweet loving things closely into my ear helped soothe me. I found some soothing jungle sounds from an app and for months I kept that as background noise almost constantly and it seemed to help trick my brain into coping. I used a white noise machine at night to sleep.

Today, over a half year later, if I am in complete silence, I hear a faint high ring in my left ear if I focus on it but my brain doesn't often focus on it anymore. I find that if I sleep on that ear, it gets louder sounding so I stick with my right side. It truly hardly ever bothers me anymore. I'm basically back to normal. It was a gradual, slow, slow relief that finally washed over me. I truly appreciate my hearing, as well as silence (and all my senses really) more than I ever had before going through this painful, difficult experience. I have a new gratefulness.

I want you to know I understand just how maddening it can be, and I want you to know you can get through it. I'm sending love and support to you right now.

Annie

• Like Like x 7
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Wonderful story!!!

I hope we all follow in your foot steps. :cat:

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Annie.36

Annie.36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Thank you, I hope the same for you and everyone! :)

4. Hunszi
      Alone

Hunszi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 (got worse in 20,21)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Lucky....

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Annie.36

Annie.36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Yes, wishing you good luck too.

6. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Hi Annie

Thanks for your encouraging words. Really needed.

Can u tell us some tips about coping with the t at work? And at night.

Dilshaad

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Annie.36

Annie.36 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hi Dilshaad,

At work I told my boss and colleagues what was happening and they were very supportive and understanding. I kept my earbuds in whenever possible listening to an app I found called "White Noise" which had lots of different background noises to listen to and found my favorite was one called " Amazon Jungle"

At night I would use a white noise machine (Marpac TSCI-330 Travel Sound Conditioner) and also used my phone to have the " Amazon Jungle" sounds playing under my pillow. This combo really helped. My husband was very supportive and in my darkest moments, it was him holding me and whispering supportive, loving things into my ear that got me through. Having some people who understood just how tough it really was felt good to lean on.

Good luck to you and everyone here.. wishing you well.

Sincerely,
      Annie

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Thanks Annie!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Hi Annie

Thanks for the advice. Wish you all the best also.

Kind regards
      Dilshaad

• Like Like x 1