Having a Bad Day

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe Zaffiro, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Joe Zaffiro

Joe Zaffiro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I know I have only had this for 2 months. But I keep hearing that it does get better. I had some bad news at work and that didn't help my mood or the tinnitus. I am having a hard time 'habituating' to this noise. I am using hearing aids, but I don't like the hearing aid part, I really only use the white noise to help mask the tinnitus. Anything encouraging for me would be helpful. I believe God is still helping me through this, but the weight of it feels heavy to me everyday. Anyone else feel that the first few months?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This is a c&p of my reply to you on Glen's thread just in case you miss it:

I understand your frustration,Joe. But be patient. Different people have different time frame of recovery, depending on personality, background and T volume. I was in a mess at 2 months and fully dependent on meds. Panic attacks, sleeplessness and depression still ruled me at 2 months. I also suffered anxiety/panic disorders for decades prior to T & H, so I took my time to get better. I read up all the success stories of various forums to help myself to have hope and confidence that I can get well too in time by copying the successful approaches. I just knew then that if I just copy success and stick to it, then it is only a matter of time before I will get better, and I did. It took me much longer than Glen, but it is alright. I didn't expect a speedy recovery due to my anxiety/panic prone brain. Remember to go back to living your life and don't worry much about T (try what you can). It will happen slowly that T becomes less and less of an issue over time. Time is on your side. Give time enough time. All the best and God bless your recovery.

It is great that you depend on God to help you. I too depend heavily on my faith in God during the initial struggle. I prayed every night for inspiration how to cope with my immense sufferings from T, H, as well as relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I had to take Ativan, Prozac and sleeping pills just to survive each long dark day. And then one night I had the strong impression and reassuring thought that He had not abandoned me and I felt His love with words in my mind like this "Fear not, little child, for the Son of God has suffered all things and He loves you beyond your imagination." I felt strongly then that I needed to learn through my suffering to grow and to live in grace and with patience. When I decided to be patient and just trust God the Almighty, then I slowly lost the fear for T. It is a spiritual experience I will never forget. So keep up your faith, Joe. We are not suffering as bad as Job. It will get better. Give it time.

Finally, I like you avatar. Capt Kirk (William Shatner) also suffered bad T. He and Spark got the worst of a pyrotechnic accident when an explosion on a set got too close to them unexpectedly. They were both rushed to emergency. Shatner suffered so bad at one stage he said he was suicidal. But he recovered after going TRT treatment and later became the spokesperson for ATA. So I used him as one of my role models for not giving up. I said if a famous guy like him could have T and suffered bad, perhaps I shouldn't blame 'Why me?, Why me?' anymore. That helped the mental game with T in some way, LOL.

3. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have had T for 5 months and though I'm still struggling to habituate, I think it has gotten better. I was a mess at first (like everyone) but I think I'm learning to cope better. Some days are better than others. Trying to stay busy definitely helps; you should still go out with friends etc. I find when I stay active, I can better ignore the T. I have the hardest time coping when at work because I'm a writer and it's a very quiet environment. Sometimes I listen to waterfall sounds to help mask the T. I also use a humidifier at night and that helps me sleep. And reading the posts on this site have definitely helped my outlook and given me hope. One day at a time.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe Zaffiro

Joe Zaffiro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I put my reply in the wrong place....sorry. Here it is....
      Shatner is one of the reasons I used him as an Avatar. I am a long time Trek fan. I know he had this issue. I read the Bible every night before going to sleep and try to meditate prayerfully to get relaxed. I appreciate your comments and faith. Trying to stay positive and keep it together. Can't let the kids and wife down. I feel I need to pick up this cross and carry it everyday. But i know I'm not carrying it alone.

• Hug Hug x 2