Having FUN

Discussion in 'Support' started by caffclifton, Jul 25, 2014.

1. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      This is where I am tonight (see picture) having fun with some live music and drinks. Can still hear my T but got my earplug in to stop the 'morse code' sounds. I don't know what my T will be like in the morning BUT for the first time in weeks I'm having fun!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
    2. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So glad you are enjoying yourself, we should all do the same.:)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It took a lot of convincing to get me out but I'm glad I did. I might have a different outlook in the morning but I'm stuck with this T now so might as well enjoy these moments while I can c

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Youl be just fine.. Enjoy yourself to the fullest!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      We have outdoor concerts in my neighborhood in the summer, too! I go and dance with my ear muffs on!
      Just enjoy.

If your ears feel buzzy in the morning, take some NAC. About 1200-1800 mg, then 1200 mg a day for two days after. Its a natural supplement. You can search the forum and find some info on it. Helps your neurological system. Some people take it all the time, I do it just after (or right before) noise exposure.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for that tip, @LadyDi ! I've never tried NAC; will have to try this after noise exposure, and see if it helps.

Is there a particular brand of NAC (such as Swanson's) that you would recommend?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is NAC? If I ask for this in a health shop will they know what I mean? X

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Can you drink alcohol with this?? Lol igotta party tommorrow with music

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      T was loud when I went to bed last night but back to normal again this morning x

10. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Right on Caff. That is what I am saying all along. T is going to ring whether you are sad or happy. In fact it is likely that T is louder when you are stressed with it and monitor it constantly. Why not enjoy each NOW moment instead of wasting it with negativity. Life is short. Enjoy it.

11. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      TOTALLY agree with @billie48 !! We all need to get out and have some fun, find some, joy, and live our lives in spite of our T!!! I know it's hard, almost impossible sometimes, but embracing life and living each day to the fullest of our ability (having fun, enjoying relationships & experiences, accomplishments, etc..) is essential to habituation, and to conquering T!!

Great job @caffclifton !! Keep it up!!! (y)

:rockingbanana:

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys! It really helped going out last night. All my friends have been really supportive and it really gave me the boost I needed. The morse code sounds in my ear where really difficult to deal with but I'm seeing my audiologist Tuesday so hopefully they can help me get rid of or overcome these sounds. Once that's out the way I think I'll be well on my way to habituation. I know I'll still have my down days but that's just life I suppose. I really do recommend to everyone with T to go out and enjoy themselves. It really does help xxx

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey all, so sorry I did not reply earlier. I was out having FUN, like some of the other lovely folks here! Was on vacation in beautiful New England. Saw friends, climbed some mountains, kayaked almost every day, ate lobster every other day. Yeah, sometimes my tinnitus popped up, but who cares? It was wonderful.

So to questions from @caffclifton and @Karen: NAC is N-Acetyl Cysteine. It is an amino acid that is believed to help your body create natural anti-oxidents that can help protect your nervous system. My research doc, who is interested in supplements and alternative treatments for T even though he practices traditional medicine, recommended it for noise exposure. He suggested it is best taken immediately before, say, going to a concert. But if you unexpectedly are exposed to noise you can take it immediately after. His suggested dosage, as I said above, was 1800 mg the first dose, then 1200 mg a day for the next two days after. It does seem to help me. Some people take it daily, but I do reserve it for noise emergencies.

You can buy it in most good health food stores and online. I buy the Solgar brand but Swanson is a good manufacturer, too. Do try to get it in a 600 mg capsule or tablet, in order to get the dosage right.

Here is a TT thread on NAC:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine.395/page-2#post-55859

Hope you all are having a wonderful summer!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1