Head Trauma to Existing Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa88, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Everyone,
      I was doing really well, experiencing an overall fade in t, and largely disassociating from it.
      This last Wed however I had a fall, tripped and fell, hitting the back of my head against a carpeted floor at quite hard impact.
      For the last 3 days my t has been elevated, especially in the mornings.
      Hoping this is a temporary elevation.
      Has anyone else suffered head trauma which has effected their existing t? And if so, how long did the elevation last?
      Thanks.
      Lisa

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Yes. My Neuro suggested this to me 2 days ago. Something about the inner ear bones..I don't really know what he was talking about, but I am also now being tested for SCDS. Also post concussive syndrome can cause tinnitus and hyperacusis...not saying you have a concussion but head trauma can mess with your ears.

Hopefully it's just a short lived spike.

Be well @Lisa88 glad to see you've made progress (despite a little blip)

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Interesting. My H started/escalated not long after I had hit my head really hard in a shelf. I don't think I had a concussion but it was a hard blow.

4. Quite possibly @lapidus ...lots of folks have ended up with H from head trauma. I know one woman's daughter did after being bullied and having a soccer ball kicked at her head! Poor kid.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Also another girl who fell and hit her head. When she woke, she had severe H.

6. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I have T due to head Trauma. One of those surprise attacks from behind by 2 criminals.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      In November 2014, so prior to my T, my head had been thudded by a metal bar. It did hurt but no cerebral concussion as far as I can tell. Now I wonder..

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I got T 50 days after assault.
      How long after your head trauma did you get T?

9. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      T from head trauma is indeed a league of it's own. It's totally different than noise induced tinnitus. Post concussion Tinnitus can last any where from weeks, months or even some cases years.

Most doctors are now just beginning to understand head trauma and Tinnitus.

Here's a good read:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...gers-concussion-files-ears-ringing-constantly

With head trauma induced Tinnitus you have to shut things down for a long time. Your brain can only heal with limited activity.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks, All. I am wondering though how head trauma can effect EXISTING t? Permanent or temporary exacerbation? Any cases out there??

11. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      My T started the next day after I hit my head against a wall. It's been 15 months now and its 60% down volume wise and basically stays that way most of the time with occasional setbacks. I think neck muscles also play a role in T after a head trauma. People who have had head traumas should get their neck checked. Most of the time what we think as post concussion syndrome is actually coming from our necks !

12. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Richy81, I'm not sure if the metal bar was related to my T, I rather assume it happened due to pressure in the middle ear or stress.

But then again you got yours after 50 days of an assault. So who knows maybe it was a combination of all of this.

(Sorry for the late answer. Somehow I over looked your post.)

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      A typical feature if head trauma T is delayed onset. Infact closed head injury patients have a wide variety of other neurological deficits that appear in days and weeks and not immediately. This is due to cell death in the brain and this process takes some time. My T started after about 24 hours after I smashed my head on concrete.

14. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      @Lisa88 any improvement in your T since the head injury? My situation is a little different but I am a goalie in hockey and the season is about to start but I am unsure whether I can play or not due to the fact that at some point I'm likely to get a shot to the mask.

15. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you hit your head pretty hard it may be a good idea to get checked by the doctor because this T may be unrelated to your initial T and maybe you have done some physical damage

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      All is fine now. T eventually went down again. Seems for me anyway all these things are just temporary blips. Best advice is to live your life. If we train the brain to not care about t, it will hopefully just fade. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      So happy to hear your T went away!

I have the same problem. Got T from a bad concussion 2.5 months ago and it became much worse.

How long before it went away?

I know this is an old post and you probably won't see it. But i'm kinda desperate.