Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Oct 23, 2012.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Jazz,

Are you going to get the aids? Does it say it was the Widex AE that were used in the trial (I just checked quickly but couldnt see).

I think most aids have a feature like this as you say, but it may not be exactly the same, it may not move the sound down an octave like these do?

I did notice it said the 38 people had a similar steep hearing loss at high frequencies. Maybe this isnt too great a factor.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Mysoline, I'll look into that.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, I was interested in Mysoline and followed it for a while a few months back. There were others members on DS were going to try it out and report back. Some did, some did and quit and some could not get their doctors to prescribe it. All in all, it looks like only 1 person really had any success with it. Unfortunately, too many variables, not enough consensus/testing so it cannot be recommended as a treatment based on this.

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi Louise,

The report cited Widex AE. They did not mention specific models. AE stands for "audibility extender." Widex has two hearing aids that have this feature. One is the Passion PA-115; the other is the Inteo. Both hearings aids are very expensive. I saw the Passion quoted at $2700 and the Inteo at $2200. In the original link on TT, pap stated she knew someone in the study and they used the Passion series.

There's not many Widex distributors in the US. I recently found an audiology practice that sells Widex along with Neuromonics and SoundCure. (A one-shop-fits-all for those who can afford it!) It's about 100 miles from me, but I am going to make an appointment. My insurance is not great (like many in the US), but if I can try the Widex and it works I'll come up with whatever my insurance won't cover.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It sounds like a good plan Jazz. What does the 'audibility extender' do, do you know?

5. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      hi louise

the audibility extender(ae in short) is the ability of the hearing aid to transpose the frequency as needed in the loft settings

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks exodus :)

7. Redhairedgirl

Redhairedgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1996
      Hello All
      I tried a brand new version of hearing aids and while I only had them on for a few minutes, (I have about 30% hearing loss, along with tinnitus) the hearing aids all but eliminated the tinnitus.
      However, I could not afford the price of the two hearing aids, even with what my insurance and the governments chips in. They were over $3,500. Canadian for the pair. Perhaps one day I will be able to afford them.
      I did get a set of hearing aids given to me from a friend who got a new set. I had them programmed to my hearing loss and they do seem to help me. However, I can only wear them in certain conditions, and not at work as there is too much noise and I don't have a remote control to adjust the volume.
      I am new to this site, and have just lived with tinnitus since I have had it. I also have high blood pressure, which, when tired, seems to aggravate my tinnitus.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi RedHairedGirl,

What type of hearing aids were those first ones? Its such a shame you cant have them due to money.

What type of T do you have?

9. Bob R

Bob R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi RedHairedGirl,

High blood pressure will certainly make your T worse. An easy way to lower it is with zinc and magnesium. I take 50 mg zinc in the AM and 400 mg Biocitrate Magnesium in the PM. My pressure is down to 110/70.

Most people will tell you to avoid salt to help keep T down. That's because salt raises blood pressure. So does stress.

Very interesting that the hearing aids helped so much. That will be the next thing I try. Good luck.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Bob R.,
      How much zinc do you take to control your blood pressure?

My whole problem started because of blood pressure. Doctor put me BP meds, which exacerabated my very mild tinnitus. I went back to doctor, and ended up being put on another drug. After being on a total of 4 different BP meds, I finally got myself off all of them. The tinnitus remains, but I am pretty much keeping my blood pressure under control, except in the late afternoon.

I currently take magnesium chloride (2 tablets per day; 520 mg each), and I have a zinc supplement that I take only occasionally (23 mg. per lozenge). Can you share how much zinc you take per day?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Karen, do you know that its very difficult to absorb Magnesium orally?

I have recently ordered some transdermal Magnesium Oil - it supposed to get absorbed properly as is doesnt ahve to go via the stomach.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Louise,
      Actually, I have some of the magnesium oil, too. I had used it a few times, then stopped. I know it is supposed to be better absorbed in that form, but I had problems with it burning a bit when I put it on my skin. It is also somewhat oily, even after it is absorbed into the skin. Since I usually take my magnesium just before bed, that's when I was using it, and trying to find a way to get it to absorb faster. I'll try it again, and see if I can come up with a way to make it work.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for you, when you receive your order.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'll certainly let you know :)

I had been taking Magnesium before T to help with another problem. I wasnt taking it religiously then though. I take it orally (Dyno-mins Magnesium) and then read the other day that its very hard to absorb when taken orally and you only get 30% - 50% of what you take absorbed.

I'm going to continue the oral supp and use the oil too.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Using both forms of magnesium is probably a good idea, Louise. That way, you'll insure that you are getting enough magnesium. I hope it helps your T!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That what I figured Karen. I've never been a believer in 'less is more'!

16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      New Starkley Tinnitus Hearing Aid

Xino Tinnitus

Xino™ Tinnitus device is engineered to change the way people deal with ringing in the ears
      MINNEAPOLIS --

Starkey Hearing Technologies, a global leader in hearing technology, has introduced a treatment solution that offers tinnitus sufferers a comfortable, discreet device designed to deliver all-day relief from what can be a debilitating ailment.
      The Xino™ Tinnitus device, sold under the Starkey brand, uses advanced technology to create a customizable and comforting sound stimulus that can be fine-tuned and personalized for a person’s individual sound therapy needs. The nearly invisible device, worn behind the ear, delivers a innovative technology that personalizes treatment to address each sufferer’s specific tinnitus symptoms.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Erik,

The new hearing aid sounds like it might be worth checking out! I'd be interested in hearing more about it, and wonder if any of our TT folks will consider trying it. Thanks for the information.

18. Bob R

Bob R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Karen,

I take 50 mg of zinc, one per day, in the morning. And Louise is right; some forms of magnesium are difficult to absorb. My MD, who is a Doctor of Osteopathy, recommends BioCitrate magnesium, 400 mg once per day at night. Don't take them both together, take one in the AM and one in the PM. And don't take the Citrate of Magnesia liquid, which is a strong laxative. Both of these supplements have the ability to lower blood pressure.

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Bob! I'll try taking my zinc every day (mornings) and the magnesium in the PM. When I use up my supply of magnesium chloride, I'll look into getting the BioCitrate magnesium. Worth a try! My blood pressure is good in the mornings, early afternoons, and at night. It's only in the late afternoon that it goes up too high.

20. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Perhaps it was mentioned before, but let me ask - is there any information that people with tinnitus but NO hearing loss might benefit from wearing such hearing aids? Maybe is there anybody with no hearing loss who has tried wearing them? However, even if I had the money I doubt it would even be possible for me to get hearing aids if they are prescription-only...

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My audiologist told me about these aids.

But, at the end of the day though they only produce a sound. With these aids the sound can be really tailored to be comfortable for you, its not just white noise. Obviously the playing of sound is advocated by TRT but I dont think these aids do anything more special than that.

Fish - I dont know if people without hearing loss can benefit from aids, common sense would say not. However, hearing tests only go up to 8khz and its possible that a person can have hearing loss above that. This could be the very reason why I personally dont get any relief from hearing aids.

22. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hi Bob

You have said that you take zinc and that your MD recommends BioCitrate Magnesium (not sure if you take it?) & that they have the ability to lower blood pressure (&, as we know, high blood pressure can worsen/cause tinnitus) but can you tell us if the zinc/magnesium has lowered your tinnitus?

Thanks

Click

23. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

A friend of mine had these aids that pipe a noise into your ear/s - can be 'aligned' with the noise your T makes. She had them from the NHS and stopped wearing them. She said it didn't help her T and they 'made her ears hurt'.

24. Bob R

Bob R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi Click,

Yes, I take both supplements. My T is definitely better than the first month or so that I had it. The high pitched tea kettle whistle seems a little softer, and on many days, it changes over to "crickets" which is much less annoying. I have also become acclimated to the noise, and do not pay much attention to it anymore.

We all know that there are many factors affecting the quality of T, and that it's often difficult to determine what factor is doing what. Over the past year and half, I've concluded that things beneficial are the supplements I am taking, getting a good nights sleep, keeping stress out of my life. On the bad side, too much salt and caffeine. Some things I've found have no effect, good or bad; alcohol (I love wine), and noise. Even when I go to a club or concert, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

Re: hearing aids: I do have some hearing loss, so I'm going to try the aids. But I can't figure paying big $$$ for aids that only play a soothing sound. Why not just produce that sound on a computer and play it over regular speakers or headphones ?

25. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Fish, I also have good hearing on both a normal and high frequency audiogram. However, at the Tinnitus Clinic I went to, I was told that though my hearing is excellent in normal range (which is all that really matters for hearing anyway), I do have some slight loss in the very upper range and I suspect that is the cause for my T.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Your friend didnt have the Xtino aids from the NHS? From my area I cant even get a combi aid (one thats a normal aid with a masker in it too). Yorkshire NHS is pants.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That can be a cause of T Erik and if hearing aids dont work for you in reducing the T immediately you put them on (as in my case) then its highly likely that the hearing loss is above 8khz.

I think this is a prime example of how nothing much is done for T people. Its difficult to get a test above 8khz and no hearing aids go past 8-10khz. If aids worked to higher frequencies then all people with hearing loss induced T could get benefit from them. Guess there's not enough money in it for them to develop aids above 8khz.

28. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Louise, yes in my case my hearing drops around 14k. To hear normal everyday sounds like speech, birds chirping etc, you don't need a hearing aid that can reproduce frequencies above 8K. So if indeed my T is caused by high freq loss then it is unlikely that there will ever be a device that will help me since on the mass scale there is no need for one.

• Creative Creative x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Exactly - they would have to make one just to treat tinnitus. And we know how unlikely that is dont we? :(

30. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Don't know what they're called - but she definitely said that the noise is adjusted to align with your T.