Hearing Back 100%, Yet Still Have Tinnitus: Could My Tinnitus Be Caused by Perilymph Fistula (PLF)?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cormskie, Nov 3, 2020.

1. cormskie

cormskie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bang to ear
      I've had tinnitus in my left ear for a year. I got it when I hit a tree branch when I fell off my mountain bike. I lost about 30% of my hearing for about four months after the accident but now my hearing is back to normal, completely, 100%.

I thought once I got tinnitus, my hearing loss would be permanent?

Given I've got all my hearing back, could my tinnitus be caused by a Perilymph Fistula (PLF) given that my tinnitus was caused by a bang to the head?

2. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      It’s possible but there is no way to tell. Hopefully it will get quieter for you and go away.

3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You could still have hidden hearing loss, and likely have. This can be enough to keep your tinnitus permanently.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      You should be pretty dizzy and have lower pitch tinnitus with pronounced symptoms when moving or lowering your head or doing exercise. High pitch tinnitus? No tone change during headstand? Unlikely.

I saw one case study like me as my source. No dizziness but change in low tone and increased tinnitus when exercising.