Hearing Loss & Tinnitus in Left Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by abneroni, Dec 3, 2018.

1. abneroni

abneroni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hi all, have had tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear since July of this year. The last few days I have suspected that my right ear is now beginning to faintly ring and I'm becoming increasingly worried about hearing loss in my right as well.

It began one day when I went to work in the morning, a few hours after I had woken up. I suddenly noticed my left ear had begun ringing loudly and that I couldn't hear out of it. I went to the clinic that evening with the same symptoms, was prescribed antibiotics and a very low dosage of steroids. That night, vertigo hit me hard. Had extremely bad vertigo for almost a day until it lightened up a bit, but didn't go away. Finally decided to go to the ER where they gave me meclizine and followed up with an ENT.

I had an audiogram done at the ENT which showed I had absolutely no hearing in my left ear. The ENT prescribed me a high dosage of steroids and after a month or two I regained some hearing, but still have trouble hearing high frequencies and discerning speech in that ear. I had both an MRI and blood tests, but they showed nothing out of the ordinary. My ENT has chalked it up to either possibly labyrinthitis or Meniere's disease, but neither are easily diagnosed. I had a mild cold a few weeks prior to my tinnitus and hearing loss, so we leaned toward labyrinthitis, but an antiviral medication didn't seem to help. I've also been around my fair share of loud noises.

The last few days, I've noticed a faint, high pitched ringing that I believe is coming from my right ear now. It's not constant, but it seems to be getting more frequent and noticeable. It has been difficult to notice because I've become so accustomed to the ringing in my left ear. I've also noticed something weird happening after waking up in the morning regarding my right ear; when I swallow it sounds like there is pressure or something pushing against my eardrum from the inside, I can't really describe it well.

So anyway, I'm posting here now as I'm getting a bit anxious that my right ear is now possibly acting up and I'm unsure what is causing these issues. The tinnitus in one ear has been manageable so far, but hearing it in my other ear is starting to make me really anxious because I'm afraid that I will also lose hearing in my other ear.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      demand access to experimental medicine for sudden hearing loss.
      locked away behind bio-tech vaults could be a cure.