Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luca, May 25, 2017.

1. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

Hi!

So after 7 years of T I figured hearing in the affected ear has diminished. I am in the hospital next week for some tests to rule out any underlying conditions. It is especially annoying that this is only in the T ear.

My ENT laughed and commented "anything asysmmetrical pisses off human beings!"

Anyone have this? I am sad that in the beginning I was completely fine but the problem seems to be progressive. The T itself has not really changed. But my hearing has gotten worse.

2. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have HF hearing loss in R ear only but still in normal range. It shows a notch which is supposed to indicate noise induced trauma but I didn't have any. ENT told me to protect my ears but I already am sensitive so was doing that anyway. Don't know if once HL starts it becomes progressive.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, my HL was/is very asymmetric. It sucks, but then again, would it be better if I didn't have any good ear at all? Not so sure.
      @Luca - do you have a recent audiogram?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

aud1.jpg
      aud2.jpg

The left side of document always shows the right ear first.

The right ear is the bad T ear.

You can see that starting from around 5.5khz it drops off and when reaching the highest frequencies is always about 10 to 20db lower than the left ear.

The left ear shows a notch at 6khz which I would read too much into thats new to me. Overall the left ear is more sensitive across the entire spectrum.

The worrying thing for me is that this was not the case when I first got T. This was a small development over the 7 years with T.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Your audiograms don't look that bad actually (I envy them a bit!). You do have "interesting" dips, symmetrical at around 9-10 kHz, and left only at 6 kHz, and yet your T is in the right ear... T is so mysterious.

What you may find useful is to track your hearing yourself: pick an app and a hardware set (your phone + a set of ear buds for example) that you are going to keep for the purpose of this test. Then generate your own audiograms every month, save them to a file (as a picture) either through the app or via a screenshot, and play them either in a slideshow or make a movie of it. The trending will become obvious once you have enough data points.

I use the Mimi Hearing Test app.

Good luck.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

That looks neat, unfortunately it does not seem to be available for android.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you looked for an equivalent on Android? It doesn't have to be that specific app. Just something that gives a reasonable result that you can archive.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I just found an old test from 2011 that kind of shows the same problem.

http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/hearing_431075.html

but it is now across the board.

Yeah but the android ones suck, I asked the devs of the app you mentioned if they will make an android version.