Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cecily, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Cecily

Cecily Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I've had tinnitus for a couple of years now, but today it started bothering me really bad. Usually, I hear a thunderous sound when it's quiet at night, but I've had a loud ringing all day today. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my hearing in my left ear was just completely gone! It was instantaneous! I don't know if I should make an emergency doctors appointment or wait and see if it comes back. Any advice?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      If your hearing is "gone" and continues to be gone i.e. no hearing with your other ear covered or no hearing when speaking on a phone held against your left-ear, then it is considered a medical emergency. Potentially at least.

• Like Like x 1
    3. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Has it gotten better?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cecily

Cecily Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      The ringing is gone, and my hearing is back but everything is much softer than normal

5. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Cecily: I can't tell if the softness of sound is because of the extreme loudness from the tinnitus suddenly disappearing. This would seem to make things softer - for some time. But I don't know if it's an issue.

If you have an ENT and/or audiologist, a basic hearing test will confirm or deny the softness. I'd get it checked out because you really don't want to mess with this. Just trust me on this. I've lived through a lifetime of hearing loss and now tinnitus.

6. Blacknoise

Blacknoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/1994
      I've had something similar, except I would experience near deffness in one ear for about a few seconds. During this time, a simultanious ringing sound would be heard in that ear, then fade away just as the hearing came back to normal. Someone told me that was an ear hair cell falling off. Apparently that means I've lost some hearing in whatever frequency I just heard ringing...