Mimi Hearing Test App Review

Discussion in 'Support' started by Philip83, May 19, 2016.

1. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      With the risk of sounding like an endorsement, I'd like to let you know about a really great app that I found yesterday. It tests your hearing and gives you very detailed results, as well as creating an EQ -preset matched to your hearing loss that you can apply to your own music, to make it compensate for your lost frequencies (if you have any). It's really cool! (It's only for iOS it seems though, sorry Android users, although I'm sure there are alternatives on Google Play)

Also, I have to say the test itself seems very reliable, as it's almost exactly matching the results I got when doing a did my last test at an ENT. The "hearing age" -estimation is kind of fun, but no so much when you get my results at the age of 32 :(

Would be interesting if anyone with the possibility would post their results in this thread!

You can find it here:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mimi-hearing-test/id932496645?mt=8

IMG_2636.jpg IMG_2637.jpg IMG_2638.jpg IMG_2639.jpg

Their music app also includes a notch-function.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I agree! I've used this app and it's great. We just need to find an app now that tests above 8000khz.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I use this app regularly and it gives me a result that is very close to the audiograms I get from the audiologist.

4. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      OK now I am panicking... My tinnitus started 1.5 years ago and I was very proactive with all types of testing incl. hearing ones, which showed no hearing loss (up to a standard hearing range of course), so basically I was told I was having a GOOD hearing for my age and I was 27 back then.

Recently I started to get the feeling that my tinnitus is getting more pronounced (although I must say I am good at coping with sleep/anxiety etc) and while I am waiting for an ENT referral I decided to check my hearing with Mimi...

Oh why?? :(

I did a full test and my result was a hearing of a 45-year-old! I'm totally shocked... I know this is not a clinical test result and all, but still I can't believe it. I do NOT experience any obvious hearing issues in real life, I do not turn volume up or ask people to repeat what they are saying..

Has someone tried this app? Do you think my hearing can get THAT bad in a 1.5 year period? I didn't do anything damaging to my ears :(:( Or I am taking app results too seriously?

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      What did the test say? I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

You can't trust all the apps by the way.

6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @Asia88

I've got the Mimi app and have used it around 4 times in the last 2 years. I definitely wouldn't let the results worry you. For the most accurate results you need to go and get it done professionally and even then the results can vary a lot.

In conclusion audiograms seem very hard to pin down accuracy wise. I'll post 3 of my Mimi results along with 2 of my professional results for you to compare (all date stamped). They are all different, so make of that what you will.

IMG_2661.JPG
      IMG_2663.JPG
      IMG_3146.PNG
      IMG_3147.PNG
      IMG_3148.PNG

7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'll add to the post above that you haven't considered the variables, such as compacted ear wax, or blocked Eustachian tubes.

Before a professional test they check your ears first.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've had good results with Mimi - it matched my professional audiograms pretty well.
      However, in order to get good results, you are playing audiologist so you have to be disciplined in terms of environment and setup. Find a very quiet spot (and in this day and age it's not as easy as it sounds), and use calibrated equipment (Mimi has only a few options for headphones/earbuds that they've calibrated with).
      You can also use the app for trending: even if you don't trust absolute numbers, you can still look at variations over time to tell you if your hearing is degrading.

9. bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
      When I test with my iPhone 6 Plus I have mild hearing loss. If, however, I test with my iPad, I have the hearing of a 18 year old. I believe none of them since I already know my real audiogram from the ENT. I have normal hearing for my age (35).

So don't take the results too serious.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1