Hello — Very Confused and Worried About My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FelicityClaire, Oct 13, 2018.

1. FelicityClaire

FelicityClaire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had a very mild high pitched tone in the right ear since I was about 18 and I'm 24 now. A couple of days ago I got this really invasive low pitch noise.

The Doctor's clinic gave me an appointment with a nurse who says that A. it could be an infection with fluid behind the ear that she can't see B. there is wax in there, so there could be a block and C. she couldn't see the light reflecting off my ear drum which means it might be burst? I don't buy the last one I think I'd be in way more pain than just a mild scratchy pain in my ear that comes and goes.

So all in all she must have looked at it for less than 5 seconds, drew three maybe conclusions, wrote me a prescription for penicillin because it was her best guess was an infection seeing as I said I felt nauseous at work. And now I'm in this very confused, uncertain place where I'm having a lot of anxiety (I have diagnosed severe anxiety) about whether this is permanent, or an infection or a block.

My boyfriend is convinced it's a block because that's what he had and when he had it irrigated he was cured of all ear problems so he keeps pushing for me to pay to have it done (you can't get it on the NHS in the UK, well you miiiiight be able to in some places, and in some circumstances) but I've read that it could potentially make it worse? That terrifies me to no end, the worst part is its making the original high pitched tone worse or more noticeable I can't tell.

What my current plan is is to run the course of antibiotics till Wednesday and if there is no improvement (which I honestly can't see happening) to see a Doctor this time and get a more solid insight, I am considering after that having a micro-vacuum done privately. I just don't really understand why we cannot know much about what is happening? Is it because stuff can go wrong behind the ear-drum? Is my ear drum burst? Infection? Am I stuck with a new tone? Should I get the vacuum? Will it make it worse? So so many questions with no solid answers. You see my frustration. Well, it's a very frustrating illness.

If anyone has any advice at all, I'd really really appreciate it,

Thanks!

2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      What kind of antibiotics are you on?

And welcome to the forums :)

3. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi. The truth is doctors have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tinnitus. It's not their fault. But unless the eardrum has burst (pretty sure yours hasn't) or removing wax cures it, they are just guessing.
      I have too much wax at times and get my ears syringed. And i live in the UK. The NHS will remove the wax if it's causing a problem.
      But you don't want to get them syringed/vacuumed untill you know weather or not you have an infection, and you know your eardrum isn't burst.
      You could try putting some olive oil in your ear or buy something from the chemist that can help soften any wax.
      Worst case scenario and it is permanent tinnitus, you'll be surprised how quick you'll habituate to a low pitch tinnitus.
      Remember I'm no expert or anything so any advise if give is just my opinion.
      If you are very anxious and the antibiotics don't help, you should ask for a referral to ENT.
      My advise in a nutshell, is try the antibiotics, ask for a referral to ENT, look after your ears at the moment, no loud concerts etc, try taking some magnesium supplements and eat helthy, try using something to soften any wax, and don't panic.
      If it goes, great, if it's permanent we will help you cope. But let's not worry about that bridge just yet!

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @FelicityClaire

I have reservations about your continuing with the antibiotics, which can sometimes actually cause tinnitus. Unless you feel it's almost certainly an infection, I would carefully consider whether to continue with them. I think a better choice would be to do a dilution of apple cider vinegar, which many on this forum have used successfully. -- All the Best!

P.S. This was posted by another member on the forum:

*APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!!! I think this was the best thing I did. 2 tsp diluted in 10 oz water 3x per day (10 min before each main meal). Be sure to rinse your mouth and gargle. The vinegar will ruin enamel on your teeth if you don't rinse.
      *APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!! I mixed a 30% ACV 70% water solution and did 1/2 ear dropper in each ear 3x per day.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FelicityClaire

FelicityClaire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Amoxicillin (Penicillin)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FelicityClaire

FelicityClaire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Okay thank you for the advice, I have booked in for a Dr appointment on Wednesday and we will see how it goes :)