Hello all Newbies Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John L., Jul 11, 2014.

1. John L.

John L. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/05/14
      Hi everyone my name is John and I've have had some what mild ringing in my left ear. I have tmjd and I'm pretty sure that is what is causing it. I have worn down the right side of my molars and had a bad habit of chewing on that side. I'm having a really hard time dealing with the ringing especially when it comes to sleeping and getting woken up. My worst symptom with my TMJD started out as ear pressure and now it's definitely the T. I like reading all of your posts it gives me hope and makes me feel better even if it only lasts a little while.

• Like Like x 1
    2. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi John. Welcome! I have TMJD too and splint therapy helps with the pain but not the T. I hope your T will abate with TMJD treatment. Nonetheless, it does get better with time. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John L.

John L. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/05/14
      What kind of splint do you have? Does it connect to your top teeth or does it only cover your bottom teeth?

4. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      It is a night guard and covers the entire row of my upper teeth. Pretty unglam I would say.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John L.

John L. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/05/14
      Yeah I go in on Tuesday for a repositioning splint. From what I have read and I'm no expert if you have ear problems from TMJD then your lower jaw is going back towards your ears and causing the problems. So the guard I'm getting on Tuesday is supposed to pull it forward.

6. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      My prof said if the splint does not resolve the T then it is most likely due to a nerve issue. Then a doctor I saw prior said the TMJ is just 1 cm away from the ear so it tends to push fluids into ear canal and irritates the surrounding area when I grind. Whatever it is, all I know is the T remains and I just accept it. On some days, I am thankful that it is the T that remains and not the horrible pain from TMJD. :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John L.

John L. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/05/14
      How has it affected your sleep and do you have any tricks to getting to sleep and staying alseep?

8. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      At the onset, I was anxious all the time. I slept with the radio on because it was mild then. It became louder in recent years especially after my TMJD diagnosis. It was a bit more of a struggle during the most recent relapse. I slept with a masking app usually to the sounds of waters or crickets. Nights when I wake up and it is ringing its ass off, I try to allay the anxiety by telling myself I accept it and the volume will go down again. I have never tried any drugs to aid sleep.

Yours is very recent. Do have hope that it might resolve or improve. You can explore some of the tips which many have shared - exercise, supplements, meditation and whatnot. As far fetched as it sounds, it really does get better - either the noise or the acceptance. I have managed to sleep through without any masking audio in an enclosed room for the past 2 weeks. Don't lose hope.