Hello All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dom, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Dom

Dom Member

Hi All,

I have experienced tinnitus since I woke up on the morning of May 27th. Since then, I have gotten my ears flushed which relieved the pressure within my ears only leaving a faint ringing tone that is easily overpowered by a fridge or fan. I also went to see an audiologist last Tuesday who confirmed that my hearing was normal and that I had no hearing loss. The first few days were difficult but I seem to be adjusting to it at a decent pace. I'm currently taking an option course (I'm destined to convocate next summer) and the T doesn't seem to bother me when I'm sitting in lecture. I find it distracting when I'm trying to sleep and, as such, have been taking a regular dose of Advil in the evening to help me fall asleep. I would really appreciate any tips for falling asleep and working towards becoming 'habituated' so to speak. That said, I fear using sleep aids such as Xanax for their side effects and would like to steer clear of them. I seem not to be affected by hyperacusis as noises still have a regular volume to me and do not make me cringe. I also came off of a six month doxycycline treatment for my acne five days before mt T began, could this have anything to do with it as well? On a side note, I remember having tinnitus-like symptoms when I had migraines as a teen but they always went away along with the associated headaches. As many of you have pointed out, it is difficult to talk about T with family and friends since they cannot imagine just how it feels. I have looked at the success stories on this site as well as a few blogs and do feel more comfortable now. Any positive reinforcement would be appreciated, especially considering that I'm only 21 and will likely have to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Cheers,
      Dom

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tibberz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      Best thing for sleep is to try and mask the T with a fan or soft music. It's much better than listening only to the T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dom

Dom Member

Thanks!

4. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      I am still newbie with T, as I have it for no any reason on the 21st of April !

But man in this short period I went through hell with sleeping issues

So I might not be the best person to give you an advise but what I can say is the following;

You need to kill the emotional attachment with your T ! If you obtain that you can sleep like a baby as many habituated members here ! For me honestly Masking didnt work at all toward killing the emotional relation with T so after few weeks my anexity went up and that's why masking became useless later.

So I have to go for the Pyschatric approach which I hate, by having Remeron 15mg before bed an AD that works both of anexity and sleeping. Yes it sound weak; many members in TT recommend it. But I had to have it for the short term to help me reduce the emotional relation to T which it actually did a lot ! It doesn't bother me most of the time now, sometimes I forget about it for an hour or two a day; which I believe it's really a good healthy break. Remember though, everybody reacts different to AD.

Hope that helps,

• Like Like x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sleep is a major issue with new T sufferers. They can hardly fall asleep and the sleep is often short or interrupted by loud ringing. I remember not being able to sleep much during the start. I also noticed that if I take a nap, I would wake up with loud ringing, something they call the 'awakening response'.

Before you go to the prescription drug route for sleeping aid, you may want to try the more natural ones. These are not addictive and don't have major side effects. So instead of sleep meds from the doctor, you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

Masking is definitely a big help for sleep. Some soothing nature sounds or your favourite musics can do wonder to help block off T so your nerves can calm down to help you sleep. For bed time, a sound machine (like those from Sharper Image or Homedics) will be handy. There are also sound pillows. You can also use ipods or MP3 players, or your smart phone to play some masking sounds. For PC, try download a free sound generator called 'aire freshener', or search youtube for masking sounds. TT also has a great thread with masking sounds and also many great masking sounds. It also has link to a sleep thread on TT.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

• Helpful Helpful x 1