Hello Everyone, What Is Wrong with My Ear... and Eye?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tilda, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Tilda

Tilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      This is the first tinnitus board I joined, I figure I mine as well, given the impact it's having on my life.

I would describe my tinnitus as severe sensorineural hearing loss due to a loud metal concert, February 2012 when I was 19. Over the past almost two years, my condition hasn't been improving, but getting worse little by little. About five or six months later I started to get hypercusis and a weird whooshing sound sometimes after I or others talked. My ears would then pop and the whooshing would stop. That started happening a few times a week, but over the past three or four months it has maybe happened once. Every so often I get pulsatile tinnitus, but it's rare and lasts very shortly.

Recently however (past few months or so) I'v been getting a "morse code" pitch.. Faint and rare at first, now it's very noticeable over my existing tinnitus and happens almost every day. It is only in my left ear (which is noticeably more damaged). So there's that.

In late October, I was on my computer and felt a sudden pain in my left eye. While I have not felt anything like it before or since, it has left me with a number of annoying ailments, such as dimming in low light environments (imagine flashes of light, but not flashes.. it's like my vision darkens for a split second) , the presence of floaters in bright light environments, excess tearing and a feeling of weakness around my left eye. I went to the ophthalmologist after I started getting the flashes, she said I was fine. On the day I saw my first floater (early december), I went to the emergency room ophthalmology. They did the exact same thing, checking pressure, dilating my eyes, and said I was fine. Promise I am not a hypochondriac - I am not fine.

Today I just discovered Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, which describes all of my ocular symptoms as well as the morse-code tinnitus over my normal tinnitus. I am considering getting an MRI, honestly I feel like it's the only thing I can do at this point.

If that's what I am diagnosed with, I suppose the question is did my sensorineural damage cause the IH? It's curable/manageable at any rate, so that's good.

As far as the normal tinnitus goes, I'v learned to cope. Within the past year or two I have seen so much research being started in nanotechnology, cell regeneration, nerve therapy, and it's all making me very optimistic, so keep fighting the good fight everyone.

EDIT: I should also mention, there is slight spike in my left-ear tinnitus when I see a flash..

2. Hendre Vlad
      Haunting

Hendre Vlad Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medicine , noise induced.
      I have right eye and right ear pain to from time to time...its from my nevralgie,,,,thats what the doctor said it was....oh well...suggested i have an MRI Scan 2...oh well...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tilda

Tilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Sounds pretty intense man, looks like we'll find out soon eh?

4. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I would have guessed a partial vitreal detachment. That would have created flashes in the vision and floaters. I have a bunch of eye floaters and they don't bother me anymore.

As far as Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, I had to Google that. Update us on what your doctor says, sometimes some things are explainable?

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Tilda,

I agree that it might be good for you to have whatever tests need to be done to get a definite diagnosis of IIH.

Did you know that there are a couple of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension support groups on Facebook? These groups are closed groups, and you have to be admitted as a member. Go on Facebook, and type in "Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Support Group" in the search bar at the top of the page.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, I don't think your sensori-neural hearing loss caused the IIH. IIH is a separate condition, as far as I know. The people on Facebook might be able to give you some advice or guidance about IIH.

If you do decide to have the MRI, I hope you'll report back to us on what was found. It would be wonderful if you're able to get a definite diagnosis for this condition, so you can be treated for it!

Best wishes,
      Karen

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tilda

Tilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      That was my first guess, but the dialated test checked for that.. Anyways, I'll be putting stuff for the MRI in order.

Thanks Karen :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tilda

Tilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      • Like Like x 1