Hello from Alaska!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Waffles, May 29, 2017.

1. Waffles

Waffles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Engines
      Today was bad enough to search the internet for options concerning this horrible condition. After about an hour of cruising around I found this wealth of information.

Not entirely sure when it started, but I do know it was sometime between 1995 and 1999. My mother used to just say "someone is talking about you. . ."

Anyways, I think T has always been there, but overtime I was able to tune it out except for those really nasty episodes that would occur 1-3 times a week and would last anywhere from a few hours to a day max. However today was different, it started strongly in both ears which is making this evening rather insane.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were you exposed to a lot of noise (concerts, loud music through your headphones), over the years?

I dreamed about seeing Alaska for years. I was supposed to go this week, but had to cancel the trip, as a result of this condition...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Waffles

Waffles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Engines
      Probably was exposed to loud noises when younger, but my teen years were spend riding go-karts, quads, loud trucks and spend several summers at a active dirt bike circuit flagging. All of those are very noisy.

Alaska is beautiful and July / August are the most beautiful months. Everything will be blooming by this time, however, there is more chance to run into rain during late August into September. The cruise companies are a horrible way of seeing Alaska because they herd people around like cattle.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was going to rent a car and drive around. I chose "end of May" because I thought there are fewer bugs at this time of year. Would you say that it still makes more sense to visit in July?

Were you exposed to a lot of noise in the couple of months before the time when your T got louder?

5. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...

Me too !

You were supposed to take the plane ?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, and one of those planes was supposed to be a turboprop plane. I was also concerned about the sounds of driving. Perhaps I made a huge mistake, as I may have been distracted by the beautiful landscapes. At least I didn't have any hotel reservations. (Normally, I just use my GPS to find a place to sleep, when it starts getting dark.)

One thing that helped me to make my decision not to go was the fact that I learned that some of the more scenic roads in Alaska are gravel roads. Most car rental companies don't allow you to drive their car on those roads, even if you rent an SUV. You have to rent from companies that let you drive their cars on gravel roads - of course this will be a lot more expensive...

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For those who live on the East Coast (and you like the mountain scenery like the one in Alaska), I recommend that you check out Iceland. It shouldn't be too expensive for you to get there, and it is possibly more beautiful than even Alaska...

I live on the West Coast of North America. I have been to the Alps, and in my opinion the scenery in the Rocky and Coastal mountain ranges is in fact different from that in the Alps.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Waffles

Waffles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Engines
      July is not bad. VERY busy of course. June is also a good month. This spring is especially cold this year. I did a guided hike and tour of Alaska for some friends last year and it was snowing mid May in Denali. Alaska is amazing when you're willing to travel off the beaten path.

I was around some loud noises a couple months back. Took a helicopter out to a oil platform and they only provided earplugs. I also live next to an airport and the military has been conducting touch and goes lately.

My kids are loud, does that count?

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for letting me know that May this year has been unusually cold. I feel a little better about moving the date of my trip.

It looks like there is a good chance that your T was caused by noise. I read horror stories on this site about people getting T after a child yells into their ear, or a beloved dog barked close to their ear. Another person got T after a child popped a balloon inside of a car close to his ear...