Hello from the Middle of the Night! Fluttering in Left Ear, Occasional Tinnitus in Right Ear...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rosemerry, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Guys
      The last month, when I lay down to sleep, I get a weird sensation in my left T ear. Like a fluttering, reverb kinda feeling. It's fast and doesn't hurt. It seems to be related to the T, just a gut feeling. I can get several of them in a row. It's also happened outside of the bedroom, but that's where it happens most. This I can handle, but more of a concern is since onset I've developed occasional T in my right ear also. However, the noise in my right ear is mostly at night and mostly if I turn my head a certain way. I notice if I clench my jaw, it goes away. The last 2 nights have been troublesome and I've taken a tiny piece (half of a .25 mg Xanax) to take the edge off and get back to sleep. I mentioned this to an ENT that I saw yesterday, and he just shrugged his shoulders - said he didn't know what it was. And said I should get on an antidepressant for anxiety. So very helpful.

I've done some research here and google searches and perhaps it's spasm of the tensor tympani muscle but am not sure. I would love to hear from anyone with any suggestions!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Normally, TTTS spasms happen after a noise (like you or another person talking)...

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thanks @Bill Bauer. That's what I thought. ENT also suggested if it persisted I see a neurologist.

• Like Like x 1
    4. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I have had fluttering (along with the low frequency noise that comes with it) happen on a few occasions, once in a sound isolated room and once when talking to someone. It happens sporadically in my case. My ENT didn't comment on this :/ I hope you feel better!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @missingsilence It almost seems that when I get the fluttering it is on the heels of my T being quieter or more low frequency like you mention. My ENT believes whatever it is is transient, but I made an appt with a neurologist just in case several months out that I can always cancel. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone - thanks so much!

6. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      It may be your tensor tympani. Does it feel almost like a butterfly in your ear? I'm not trying to make light of this, I have the same condition. Mine began with my T, subsided greatly, but I still get it from time to time. Mine seems to happen most frequently when I am lying on my back reading on the couch or in bed. In extreme cases I am told the muscle can be disabled surgically. Mine is now very infrequent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Engineer You know, I'm having the hardest time describing it. It actually feels more like a shuddering sensation or a surge. I had it tonight when I was in bed and I was really focusing on how to describe it when it was happening lol. It's almost like the T in my left ear - which is facing up as I mostly sleep on the my right side - gets loud and the sound kind of overflows and reverberates into my head. Happens in a few seconds then goes away, but can happen multiple times. Usually in bed but I experienced it once when in a meeting at work. Sometimes the "surge" feels stronger and other times, mild.

8. Louppy

Louppy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. I was wondering if you still have this sensation in your ear? I have been suffering for over a year now and can't seem to get a resolution. It feels like a vibration that goes from my ear through my head. Only happens when I about to drift off to sleep. Thanks