Hello, I'm Andrew

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew Yates, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Andrew, I'm sure it's not permanent and probably just a spike. For the time being while you're ear plugs arrive, they have cheap foam ones in the pharmacies, doesn't work that great but better than nothing if you have to go out.

Hmm try taking a Niacin, if you have at home, and magnesium before before going to bed ? They bring my volume down quite a bit.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I don't have any of these unfortunately, I've tried going for a bath but the noise is unbearable, I'm struggling to get my head round when I get active then stop the noise is louder.

3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Oh I'm so sorry :(

Maybe try some Reflexology for the ears , just some simple exercises like rubbing around the ears gently and pulling
      Very Gently on the ear lobes, if you google reflexology for tinnitus there are various good sites with diagrams, when my T used to get very loud I used to do this, I would post the link but I don't know how to from my iPad.

See if you can get somebody to bring you the supplements , and you need to sleep well at night, so try get some camomile tea ( night blend ) use two tea bags for one cup of tea.

4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Jazz, one of our online forum member just wrote to someone....." Keep telling yourself, this will get better " , " I will be fine ".......

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I'm very new to this so have none of these supplements to help me, can only find articles on how reflexology can help and don't really want to watch a video as I have the rain drops on just now which is helping mask the noise. I'm trying to tell myself this but in truth I'm far too scared at the moment

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Andrew, thought I might chime in here...

While you have posted mostly about the noise, seems to me a lot of what's going on with you is anxiety as well. It is not uncommon for people to have very severe anxiety reactions, even panic attacks, to tinnitus. I was one of those people. In your case, it came on suddenly, which I think can make it even more challenging. The reason for the anxiety response is that your brain, which is manufacturing the noise you hear, also senses that same noise as something threatening. So your brain also activates your automatic and limbic nervous systems, which are connected to your fight or flight mechanism. It can be extremely debilitating. Your anxiety makes your tinnitus louder, which in turn then makes you more anxious, which then further ratchets up the noise... a vicious circle, as you said.

If you search this site, you will find lots of posts on anxiety. I am linking to one because I did two lengthy posts on there, plus others weighed in with good advice. Take a look.

In a nutshell: You need to get your anxiety under control before you do anything else. That, and you need to make sure you can get a decent amount of sleep (often, the anxiety comes with insomnia). I recommend cognitive behavioral therapy, self relaxation techniques (either taught to you by your therapist or from a book) -- and medication, supervised by a mental health professional, if you must.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/please-help-very-scared.1976/#post-17170

You will find you can beat the anxiety and go on from there. And also, remember: You just got tinnitus. You have a good chance of it going away. It's not considered chronic until a year and even then, there have been cases where it has disappeared.

Check back in if you need to. We are here for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Darren, just wanted to tell you how kind it was of you to take the time to do this for Andrew. It took a lot of your time and I am sure it helped him. Heck, it helped ME!

Have a good one and blessings.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Appreciate the post LadyDi. Anxiety is something I know I have to control but it's not made easier when the lower hum/buzz increases when I get active and gets severe from anything like the wind blowing or car noises( which it is at the moment)

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I can appreciate that Andrew, and understand that control is even harder when you are hypersensitive to noise. As others said here, you may have some hyperacusis. But that, and other kinds of noise sensitivity, usually subsides. And your anxiety may be making you even more conscious of sounds around you. I know its hard, but hang in there. You are in the worst of it now. It WILL get better.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Thanks Di, I've got my rain drops masking on just now which takes my mind off the noise and will help me sleep and hopefully report back tomorrow with the sound decreased or I could be back here in an hour lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Only managed around an hour of sleep, the loud noise is still going in my left ear and I'm going to see the doctor today, if I'm given any sleeping/anxiety pills, what should I recommend?

12. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Too bad that you couldn't get more sleep, Andrew. I don't have any experience with sleeping pills, always threw away the doctor's prescription lol. For me 400 mg of magnesium with camomile tea ( which relaxes the nerves )
      Helps at bedtime.

Hope your doctor is a good one. Mine have all been a disappointment. But anyways am glad you'll be able to see a doctor soon. Keep us updated, best wishes.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The noise has reached it's peak again after slightly lowering, just no letting up for me here and I really don't see it lowering

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Managed a further 2 hours sleep but the left ear still has that noise at an intense level.

15. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Andrew try to mask it. Describe the situation to your doctor ("I can't fall asleep", or "I wake up during the night") and sure he will give you the best treatment. Keep us updated please, and best wishes!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The loud hum/buzz has decreased but I know it will come back with a vengeance once I go out in the car to the doctors or even move about the house and have a conversation, I know I'm now looking for this all the time but it's so intrusive I can't help it

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Went to the doctors and wasn't given anything, he did seem understanding and I have an appointment to talk to someone about anxiety issues. As I said before I was worried about this hum/buzz sound increaseing and it has again after being outside although it doesn't feel as intrusive as the supermarket incident. My right ear is also experiencing some pain. I had some cotton in both ears and a hat on to reduce some of the outside noises

18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry to hear that, it's so sad that doctors are so useless when it comes to T :(

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andrew Yates

Andrew Yates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I know Sherri, I was hoping at least for some anti anxiety pills to help me get back to eating normally

20. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You're only a couple weeks in right? Go back to your doctor ASAP and get on a course of high dose prednisone. If you've sustained some sort of hearing damage lately, the steroids may be able to limit any further damage and reduce the severity of your symptoms but it's important to get started early. If you need, you can find some studies about this online and then maybe take it into your doctors to help convince him/her.

Also get a referral to an ENT.

If you're really struggling with sleep and anxiety don't be afraid to ask for help, go on something short term to help you get some rest. Sleep is important.

Sorry to hear things are rough for you at the moment, hoping you feel better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    21. tri2sli

tri2sli Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/10/2012
      Andrew, have had T for a year and half now. Know where you're coming from. It is overwhelming at the start and as most people have stated the docs are not much help. My ENT started me on .5mg lozapam or something like that. It was of no use. My family doc put me on 5mg diazepam (valium) which I took at bed time. Find yourself a MP3 player like a Sansa Clip and go to Itunes or Amazon music, put on some head phones and turn down the volume and check for white noise or pink noise that comes as close to the sound you are hearing and download it. I used regular headphones at first but they were uncomfortable. I found a headband(Tooks) that has phones in it on Amazon that are more comfortable and able to sleep better with it on. They make 2 different types, the one that is fleece is really to warm to wear unless you live in a really cold area. It helped me sleep. Its odd that trying to sleep with the noise coming from within is almost impossible where with the outside source it made a difference. The first 2 weeks for me were pure hell, almost sick to my stomach at times because of it, but with each passing week I dealt with it better. Good luck, it will become easier.