Hello Im new :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sally, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Sally

Sally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Hi my name is Sally and I have suffered with my ears for 35 years with constant ear infections, I had canaloplasty on both ears 6 years ago which really affects my balance and even after the ops I am still having ear problems. I also suffer with depression and have been on many anti depressants in the past 30 years, but in 2008/2009 my depression rocketed, I lost my niece, sister and mum in 18 mths and it tipped me over the edge, since 2008 I have been prescribed Zopicolne, chlorpromazine and citalopram after beimg on them for 3 years my Dr wanted to wean me off them, and now I am only on 150mg Amitriptyline at night, I have been on them now for 3 months. I have had tinnitus in the past but it would never last longer than a couple of day, this time it has been constant for 2 months and its driving me mad! The only time I dont hear it is when I am going to sleep (thankfully) but as soon as I start to wake its there..........horrible piercing whistle :( has anyone had similar? would love to hear from you :)

2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hi Sally, my goodness what a time you've been through. Well done for weaning off everything else; I was prescribed Amitriptyline for sleeping and I think it helped me get through the initial stages of tinnitus (or T as it is sometimes shortened) where I was terrified I would never be able to sleep again. I never appreciated the simple act of sleeping until I felt I couldn't. I'm not on it any longer.

One insidious aspect of T is that once you notice it and pay attention to it, it gets louder (well, strictly speaking, you perceive it as being louder). It really does feel louder though, and it's very hard to believe that it's only because you've paid attention to it. I am no doctor, I am not a psychologist; but my suspicion is that the stress of your recent experiences has made you worry about a noise you've probably always had there, and ignored in the past. Now you're worried about it and the cycle is established. You probably wake up and first thing you ask is "can I hear it?". It's what I do, but I do it less and less as I worry about the noise less. It really does recede with distraction.

I hope this helps a little
      DD

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sally

Sally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Thanks for your reply DD, as I type now I am hearing very loud whistling, I am deaf most mornings and throughout the day on and off so it is hard to sound it out with background noises as I cant hear them... T is in both ears and it often feels/sounds like the whistling is at the back of my head.