Hello, I'm Svein. I have tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Svein, Mar 15, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. Svein

Svein Member

I live in Norway, just north of Oslo. I've had t for 12 years now. It's become harder to handle the last two years. I'm 59 years old, married, work as a teacher for immigrants, like walking and outdoors life, music and reading.
      My wife and I sing in our church choir, I love Mozart and other classical music, I play the guitar a little, and generally try to keep pleasant distractions between me and tinnitus.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Svein, hi and welcome!

It doesn't probably matter at this point, but it's always sort of a curiosity of mine, how did you acquire your T?
      Would you say you were habituated to T before it became harder to handle?

Your distractions sound great and for many are what keeps them sane, at least in the more difficult phases..

A little off topic by the way, but have to make a notion: I'm from Finland so we are almost from the same country! :D

3. Hi Svein, glad to see you here.:D

4. Svein

Svein Member

Thanks, Warren and Markku. :)

I got tinnitus in 1999, after a period of stress due to computer strain in arm and shoulders, losing my job, and training for a new profession as a teacher. I also had cancer in 2002 and a heart attack in 2009. I think the mental strain after the heart attack is the main reason for my growing problems with coping, plus side effect from medicines.
      I also have a slight hearing problem in high frequencies, due to age and maybe damage in young years from the army and loud concerts.
      I guess I was sort of habituated to T before it got worse, but it was a growing problem before the heart attack.

I been to Finland a few times, but just to drive through to Northern Norway. We have a lot in common, among them beating the swedes in skiing!:D