Hello, Long Time Sufferer (Tinnitus for About 35 Years)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kurt H, May 8, 2019.

1. Kurt H

Kurt H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. It started when I was in the military
      I am a 57yo long term sufferer. My tinnitus started around 35 years ago when I was in the USMC. I believe it was caused by the constant whirring of cooling fans in the communication shelters I worked in. Mine is persistent and it is rare that I have a quiet moment. I also suffer from hearing loss. I have 35% loss in my right ear and 40% loss in my left. I would love to find a treatment that works.

2. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Same age here, also 57, I've had tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss since 2012, due to loud noise. It has undoubtedly been the worst thing that ever happened to me, it's truly life changing. You get used to it to a certain extent, but not a day goes by without telling myself I should be positive and not be worried about it. I get sick of the stories they keep telling about certain fish (zebrafish) that obviously have a natural tendency to regenerate damaged hair cells, and that this might lead to drugs that can regenerate damaged hair cells in humans. I mean, we've been hearing this same old story for years now. I'm not a f...... fish, you know. I prefer doctors who don't give false hope, and just honestly say: Unfortunately, there's still nothing we can do, period. I'm just sooo fed up with that false hope-crap. But to end in a positive way: Before my hearing issues I would give my life on a 1 to 10 scale a 10. Life was really good. Then suddenly tinnitus was here to stay and my life quality sank, I would say 30%. That's a lot. But instead of being sad about losing 30% of my life quality, I prefer to be happy about the fact that I've still got 70% left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kurt H

Kurt H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. It started when I was in the military
      I have had this condition for so long, it really doesn't affect my life much at all. The part that I have the most problem with is missing things in conversations and meetings. Mine is pretty much 100% of the time for as long as I can remember. Hearing aids help my hearing but do nothing to help my tinnitus

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hello Kurt H and Peter61, this is an awful illness... but we have no choice but to keep on keeping on, be strong and not surrender. It ain't easy, I'm just getting back on my feet.

What I did want to say is... I actually have hope that science is going to help us in the next few years, if the world is still here as we know it.

There are two clinical trials I know of underway for hearing regeneration and there are bimodal stimulation devices out in a few months. Keep the faith and wishing you peace.