Hello, My Name Is Joe...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by joester, Jan 28, 2016.

1. joester

joester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1978
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really big explosion.
      ..and I have Tinnitus.
      I've been lurking here a bit for a while and scouring the internet for a plausible treatment for my T.
      Mine was a result of a very large explosion I was literally in at around age 19, and I've dealt with ringing ever since.
      25+ years later I'm either getting more sensitive to it or it's getting worse. I've never had "official" testing since money has been tough.
      Last night I was sitting in the recliner doing my internet thing and I noticed something...If I clasp my fingers together on top of my head and apply pressure to "squeeze" my neck, the sound gets louder. Not by much, but it does.
      I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a spinal decompression type treatment to the neck vertabrae to decrease the effect of T. I have never seen anything along those lines anywhere but there is Vagus Nerve stimulation (Vagus resides in the back of the neck for those who might not know). Maybe decompression might help?

2. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      What is your blood pressure reading?
      Welcome, btw.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joester

joester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1978
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really big explosion.
      BP is typically a little on the low side. I donate blood regularly and I'm usually 110/70 @70ish depending on the time I had to rest before getting taken to the screening area.

4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      So your BP has been tested since your tinnitus has gotten worse?

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hello @joester, I have high volume hissing right now and if I pull my head down I get louder too. The problem is to do a decompression of your neck you need to do a fusion or a cervical artificial disc replacement as far as I know. @Carl Horton had a C5C6 fusion and it helped reduce his noise. You could look at his posts.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joester

joester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1978
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really big explosion.
      @AnxiousJon - BP and tinnitus have coexisted for years.... Ever since I blew up a cannon I had my arms around. Without a doubt, the loudest sound that ever came from my parents yard and I was essentially deaf for a few days, but hearing came back with the new addition of a 16K solid, consistent, continuous, loud ring that just never even started to die down.

@just1morething - There is a local doctor that has a DRX-9000 spinal decompression machine that is used for non-invasive treatment of collapsed, herniated, ect... discs in the spinal column. I personally know people with degenerative discs in their backs who have had great improvements in ability to move and reductions in pain. They basically anchor your hips and pull upwards on your shoulders to stretch the spine, then you nap for an hour.
      I wondered if anyone has done the same for the neck instead of fusion.
      I contacted the doctors office today and was told by the doctor himself he has treated people for T with LLL but not decompression. Of course, a visit with imaging, testing, consultation, ect and he would formulate a treatment plan for me.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I tried a very big expensive neck traction machine years ago with no benefit on my tinnitus. You would hate to get a neck fusion if it didn't improve your T, unless you have other symptoms like hand and/or arm problems. I think I am a potential candidate for C5C6 fusion according to my cervical MRI, but don't have all the arm symptoms. My left hand goes numb at times and have some pain sensations below my right shoulder periodally. It would be great if a neck fusion made my hissing noise go away, but that remains to be seen.