Help! Doctor Prescribed Keflex (Cephalexin) — Got a Spike — Should I Stop It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by imsoemokthx, Mar 14, 2017.

1. imsoemokthx

imsoemokthx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all! I recently had really bad bronchitis followed by an upper respitory infection. I was on quite a few medications and went through each one with no problem until it came to the doxycycline. I have a history of anxiety and it did a number on me so I stopped taking it after I started to feel so spacy and dizzy that I couldn't get through the day without an anxiety attack. Since then I've halted all drug use ( that was probably 9 days ago at this point ). Things weren't improving so I went to the ER and they noted I was dehydrated and gave me some IV fluids which made me feel better. The doctor mentioned I had a bladder infection and put me on Keflex (Cephalexin) 500mg x2 a day and I've noticed a spike in the volume of my tinnitus, which I've had most of my life but have been able to mostly ignore. Should I stop this medication? I have 3 days left.

I'll also venture to mention that throughout this entire ordeal I've had days of severe depression and anxiety, some of which came to a culmination tonight because I'm something of a self diagnosed hypochondriac. Oh how I long for the days of apathy.

Anyway, just reaching out because I found this forum during one of my "panic searches" and everyone seems so supportive!! Thanks.

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Sorry to hear about the health issues. Never fun but know the drill well!

Antibiotics are not always ear friendly. I had a major T spike and developed mild hyperacusis after taking Cipro and Augmentin a few months ago. That said, bladder infections if left unchecked can develop into something more serious (I know because I took antibiotics for UTI and my doctor talked to me about bladder infection as well). If I were you I would talk to your doctor ASAP about the ear issues the medication is causing and about stopping the medication or switching to a different class of antibiotic if possible.

Definitely keep us updated about what your doctor says, and I hope your infection clears up soon!

• Like Like x 1