Help in Raising Awareness

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eman S, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Eman S

Eman S Member

Hi everyone

It has been really inspiring reading threads on this forum. How strong, good people fight day in and day out to keep their sanity in a world of noise and still be able to offer support to others. It is a shame how little people know about tinnitus.
      I am doing my masters dissertation on the role played by online support groups in shaping a person’s experience with tinnitus. I hope it will contribute, even if a little, in bringing tinnitus to people’s attention.

I would really love to hear about your personal experiences with tinnitusalk. What best did participating in the group offer you? Do you feel more comfortable talking about your tinnitus with people from the group more than family or friends and does anonymity factor in?
      I am deeply interested in tinnitus on a personal level as I have seen how it changed my brother’s life. I would really love to hear from you guys.

Thanks allot and best wishes
      Eman

• Like Like x 1
    2. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, first of all I really like how you care so much about this even though you don't have it. I joined tinnitus talk only a few months ago though I'm not new to tinnitus but because I guess I was living mostly really happily with t and I thought that I could share my advice about t.

Talking with people in a group showed me how much I had accepted tinnitus as a permanent part of my life and had realised completely that a cure is unlikely for me, because I don't know anyone with tinnitus I find that talking with people in a group feels easier than talking to all the other people around me who don't know what I feel. Because we all have it here I don't feel like a weak victim so I can just talk to these lovely people without feeling pathetic and despite the fact that I don't personally know them, talking about it in a group feels more easy going and casual I'd rather talk to a group full of people who are going through it than a therapist.

Do you feel more comfortable talking about your tinnitus with people from the group more than family or friends and does anonymity factor in?

I love my family and friends however It feels awkward and I don't want them to get upset about this, it frustrates me that I feel like I have to be so fragile with their feelings about this but its just the way it is. I feel comfortable talking on here I'd never share my t problems with my friends and family sometimes I just say a bit about it but never anything awful. People here understand why tinnitus becomes such a problem for us, most 'normal people' I don't think really understand why a noise in your head can break you the way it can or they'll try but will just show pity. I find it easier to talk to everyone and not know them personally so then I can put away any false pretences when I'm here, I can know people without having to know them it helps with being honest about how you really feel. There have been times where I have had to go sit down for an hour or so at school because I was hysterical about tinnitus and if someone tried to comfort me I just couldn't really buy into it I found it easier to come here either ask for advice or read a few posts to remind me why I keep fighting. Once a friend of mine just listened to me though I don't think she understood what I was talking about but it was nice to have her listen. People here understand that T can put me in awful moods, people close to me won't understand how these moods aren't constant and I honestly have no control over when t makes me angry it just does, I feel like everyone here just fits together I'm sure a lot of us have absolutely nothing in common but still we all connect over tinnitus.

I could go on about this forever so I'm just going to end it here :)

If you need to ask me any specific questions your welcome to :) Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eman S

Eman S Member

4. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your very welcome Eman, I'll complete this questionnaire this evening :) Good luck with your dissertation:) Please let me know how it all goes, when is it by the way? also let me know if there is anything I can do to help
      And how long do answers need to be?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eman S

Eman S Member

Thanks Georgia. Please feel free to write as much as you want :) My submission date is mid September. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the dissertation when it's done. I'd love to hear what you think.
      It would be very helpful if you can advise me on how to encourage other members to participate in this thread :)

Thank allot for your help (y)

6. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd love a copy of your dissertation :) I completed the questionaire and I'll post it my time tomorrow morning as I'm not sure how and will have to get my sister to help me :) I'll see what I can do in encouraging others to do the same :)
      Night!

7. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here you go!

Attached Files:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR