Help, support, opinions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dishman, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      About 2 months ago seems looking up "T" on the internet almost gave me tinnitus...First off, I would like to thank all of you for your knowledge and taking the time to share your experiences and support for this condition, it is truly is a big help and much appreciated on my part! I would like to explain my situation, I went to an ENT for a hearing test and examination, my hearing is good, left ear was almost perfect and right ear was around 15-25db loss at 3 to 8 khz at the time, for many years, 15+ I had a loud stereo in my car and the right ear is the focal point of the car where I live, I was told my hearing is good. Also went for an ABR, CT, MRI and they turned out good as well, this condition sure is a mystery and I hope someone will find a cure or at least some kind of solid treatment in the near future. Now where it all started, I suffered a mild concussion on june 9th (the ct scan was 5 days after as I spent most of my summer at ER worrying about my brain), I felt fine the next day after the concussion but I knew I had to go see a doctor so I did (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac in times like these!! and I tend to worry myself way beyond!!!) around the 12th after another visit to the ER a doctor gave me 1 anti-inflammatory needle (in my hip, toradol) I also had 4 beer that night because of all the stress I was going through, I was also on Advil at the time as well for about 2 weeks, Had no clue about ototoxicity at the time and after that needle it seemed as though my right ear became plugged or a fullness feeling (no ringing at the time) doctor than told me I had a "flu" in my sinuses due to the plugged feeling in my ear and told me to do a saline rinse of salt water a couple times a day so that's what I did, fast forward 2.5 weeks my ear started to unplug but the anxiety of everything I was going through brought me back to the hospital, what a bad day that was... I thought I was having a heart attack that day due to the anxiety of everything (worrying about PCS) my head was pounding and my chest didn't feel right so they did a EKG, which turned out okay, when I was waiting to see the doctor in the examination room that was the first time I heard a slight ringing which was on June28th, I wasn't sure if it was the fluorescent light above me, the doctor on call actually had tinnitus from a sinus infection 2 years prior and explained it may or may not go away, so when I got home I googled and found out about tinnitus and my ears have been ringing a high pitched tone ever since, almost pulsating at times but not the same rhythm as my heartbeat. I don't notice it much during the day unless I "look" for it which is hard not to do with this condition, some mornings I cant even hear it even if I try to, which is bliss. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and I just wanted to share my story and maybe get some advice or hope if any of you have ever heard about this in your travels, and if there is a chance that it may subside. Thanks everyone!

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Basically I think you are going to be fine.

You will sooner or later lose interest in "looking" for the tinnitus. You are lucky you don't hear it most of the time unless you look for it.

It could subside to a non-existent level, yes, but just concentrate on your life and that's the most important step. I see you are of the hypochondriac / worrying type, and that unfortunately is a personal trait that can have a significant negative influence on the experience of tinnitus. I bet you know that.

Keep going and if the T sometimes annoy you to no end, make use of sound enrichment and such. Some relaxing external sound can be a blessing at night to mask tinnitus.

Best of luck (y)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Thank you Markku, was hoping to hear from a few more folks, hoping to get some more opinions, would anybody else on the board have anything to add? Thanks in advance.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I'm going to see a neurologist in a few weeks is there anything I should mention or other tests that could be done? I've been going through a very rough time lately and am reaching out on here for help. Thanks in advance.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Hello all, Today I went for a follow up ENT test (You can read my whole story in a past post) I heard the high pitched noise this morning when I woke up, as well as last night before I went to sleep, and during the day as its been for 2.5 months (I don't mask but still hear a high pitched noise fading in and out when my ear is on the pillow, fans seem to drown it out but I can still hear it over the fans if I am "looking" for it... and it is sometimes reacting with sounds) and than woke up to my normal 2 cups of coffee and did not have breakfast, I was worried about my hearing test. I went to my appointment and started off with an audioly test, the test came out perfect the audiologist said is was the best hearing test of the day and "textbook perfect", then I asked if she could match the tinnitus tone, well I couldn't hear the d@#n thing in the soundproof booth... I closed my eyes and looked down and tried to summon the beastly sound from within but I couldn't... the audiologist was chiming high pitched noises out but I could not match it with anything because of the silence...WTF? then I left the appointment and got a couple cheese burgers and the ringing started... although I don't notice it when I'm focused on something, when I hear it I concentrate on it, so therefor I hear the high pitched sound for as long as I think about it. Just wanted to share that in hopes of some input, ty.

6. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.

Hi Dishman, sounds a bit like my situation.

My theory is that if you have tinnitus only in one ear (mine is in the left ear), it's because the sound balance is not level with the right ear, the ear or brain tries to level the sounds because of the hearing loss in one ear leading to the sound of tinnitus.

If i'm in a really silent room, i can't hear it, or really quiet... so i guess if i use a hearing aid for my left ear, the tinnitus may dissapear ? i haven't tried yet

7. Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplacusis

I have thought about the same. The change in the tonotopic map on one ear, could create some kind of distortion product?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Are there anymore tests/scans/anything that I could have done? Has anyone seen a situation like mine before?