Help! Tinnitus Spike and Think I Just Developed Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by GamingT, Aug 17, 2017.

1. GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss due to loud headphones, possibly depression
      So, I have been having mild tinnitus here since May 2017 and just now like 2 hours ago have a spike in my left ear and it is spiking when being exposed to noises now. Went to wash hands and turning on water tinnitus in left ear would be louder than when no water running. Is this hyperacusis? Is it possible this is just a hyperacusis spike and will go away?

Not sure on what caused spike. Just normal day, finished lunch sitting at work and just started all of a sudden.

Not sure on what caused my tinnitus in the first place... audiologist hearing exam found no measurable hearing loss, no signs of ETD or anything like that. Dentist did find gap in joints close to ear drum which he said could be cause of tinnitus...getting a night guard next week to fix it and hope that fixes tinnitus. Can hyperacusis be caused by TMJ issues?

Please help...really scared here...

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I'm sorry to read this. My tinnitus is like that and has been since it started. It reacts with a louder ring to water, paper, plastic bags, etc. I have seen multiple ENTs and they said it fell under the umbrella of hyperacusis and would go away. I have no idea when, six months later my tinnitus is still reactive.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Don't panic. Spikes are quite common for new T which can also morph into different symptoms of varying loudness, tones, pitch, even changing ears. But spikes usually will settle back to baseline T, especially if you stay calm and positive. Fear, anxiety and stressful emotions can make it worse. So stay calm as much as you humanly can. You may want to do some relaxing, calming activities such as leisure walk, stretching, meditation, yoga, etc. to help you distract from T and stay relaxed. You can also try some herbal supplements to calm your nerves, such as Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. Try to get good sleep as REM sleep is good for reducing T.

As far as the reason for the T increase, there are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including by not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc., etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

From the sound of it, you do have some degree of hyperacusis, perhaps what people called 'reactive tinnitus'. This usually comes after T spiking with high pitch ringing. But that usually fade over time. How I know? I have had both T & H. I developed ultra high pitch dog whistle T a few years back, and then severe hyperacusis soon joined in the misery. I was in a mess initially but today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. H faded long ago. Here is my success story if you wish to know some of the strategies I used to help turn around my suffering. Don't panic nor despair. Things will get better. Give it time. Best of luck and take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss due to loud headphones, possibly depression
      Thank you for kind words and support.

I have had spikes before, but they only lasted 30 minutes or less...this one going on 4 hours now. Plus it ringing louder in regard to sound is what really scares me...has anyone heard of this happening before and if it goes away?

Should i try prednisone? I live in america, if my audiologist wont give it to me how can i still get it?

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I recommend trying to let it go and relax for right now. Get a good night's sleep. Take some benadryl if you need it. As far as prednisone, I don't know. I think it would be a good ideal to see an ENT, just to be sure.