Helpful Hints That May Help Someone on Here

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Joyce B., Apr 4, 2015.

1. Joyce B.

Joyce B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Perhaps it's too early for this to be called a success story, but I have discovered a few things that help my T, and in the hopes that they may help someone else, I'd like to share them.

Caffeine-I only drank one or two cups of coffee a day, but eliminating it has helped lower the volume of my high pitched T quite a bit. I tried using decaf, but even that raises it several notches. Also stopped eating Mocha dark chocolate Kind bars (which I was kind of addicted to).

Salt-I am finding that prepared and processed foods aggravate my T. I am slowly working on saying goodbye to them as well.

Hydration-I am trying to drink as much water as possible. I think it may help, which makes sense as it would dilute salt and other aggravating things in the body. I know for sure that being "dry" makes it worse. AND, call me crazy, but I could swear that drinking Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger calms my T. (No I do not own the company! ;-)

Ativan/Lorezepam-my MD says that this is the only medicine that helps T. I will occasionally take 1 mg. when the anxiety gets to be too much. I often take .5 mg at night to help me sleep. It's been a lifesaver, but I try to keep it to a bare minimum.

I have noticed that even low level anxiety makes my T kick in. (Situations I wouldn't have labeled as making me anxious prior to developing this condition.) In a funny way, my T is like an anxiety meter, and it's really helped me become more self aware. I have to admit I am a person who is wound pretty tight. Not good, so I am looking into learning to meditate.

Background: I have intermittent T in one ear. It began about a month ago after taking Daypro, a heavy duty prescription NSAID for lower back pain. It sounds like someone is ringing a triangle in my ear. Sometimes it can get really "tinny, loud" and ultra-annoying. I wear hearing aids and had moderate hearing loss prior to developing this. I am scheduled to see an ENT in one week to rule out anything more serious that may be going on. (I have had non intrusive "cricket like" tinnitus for several years.)

Thank you all for the many helpful messages on this board. As I come up with more helpful info, I will post it.

• Like Like x 1
    2. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I like the lorazepam hint the best. !

• Like Like x 1
    3. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Magnesium also could help in lowering the volume of our T. It's all natural and it contributes in relaxing all muscles of our body, by reducing the stress, heartbeat, blood pressure, by giving a general sensation of calm. It is available as soluble powder. :)

4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      And zinc! Also cats claw can help some people!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Danny Boy Hello! :)

Is zinc available in powder like the magnesium? Or maybe are they pills? Can you give me some hints please?

6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      In powder it's more for commercial use. Worth googling it.

• Like Like x 1