Helpless and Hopeless!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kristen, May 29, 2016.

1. Kristen

Kristen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      This started for me in the beginning of May after a sinus issue. I have had pain, pressure and ringing in both of my ears. I've been to 6 doctors appointments in just this week and was told I have a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. The anxiety over this is overwhelming!! I begged and sobbed to my primary care provider to help me but there is nothing he could do. I almost drove myself up to Mass Eye and Ear ER in the middle of the night. I can't do this ...I am losing my mind. I want my life back....I feel like it's over. I start counting down the minutes to bed time the second I wake up. I can't eat, have no interest in ANYTHING, lost 7 lbs this week. Haven't cleaned, get my kids fast food and want to do nothing but sleep. I need help!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's still very early and it seems tinnitus caused by Eustachian tube dysfunction or ear infections has a much higher chance of fading or completely going away than other causes (acoustic trauma, noise induced).
      Have your doctors suggested anything for your Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kristen

Kristen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      The ENT said it usually clears up on its own in 6-12 week and there is nothing they can do but wait. I just need to get myself to a place where I can enjoy life again and not feel like it's over. I am petrified and not sure where to turn. I'm a bit claustrophobic and this sends me into fits of panic!

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well you should take heart in what your ENT said. There is a high change it will get better.

When I talked with one ENT a 6 days after my acoustic trauma he told me it's likely permanent and learn to live with it.

There are a number of people here with ETD, most seem to disappear after a few months but some stick around, I can't really comment on that or make any suggestions for dealing with ETD, but others might be able to.

5. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey Kristen,

I totally understand you, since it reminds me of myself a couple of weeks ago.
      Beeing petrified can be symptom of a depression. Good thing is, its treatable with ADs (wish T was as well).

I don't know why T leads you so much into depression, but it definitely does. Retrospectivly I think in my severe case, it was almost impossible to avoid a following depression. It's a torture no one can endure for long. In the beginning I felt like a dog randomly beaten without any reason (T spikes), and what else can you be than depressed and suicidal.

Please check yourself carefully about this possibility and maybe you can talk to your GP about it.

Good luck and much strength ...

6. Michi1986

Michi1986 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acouctic drama
      Marlino i have write you a private message!

7. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      What do you mean by ET dysfunction exactly?

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk Kristen.
      It is still early for you and your tinnitus has every chance in going.
      You can try steam inhalation to clear out your tubes and sinuses.
      Play sounds set below your tinnitus at night as will help your brain to listen hard to the lower sound and not focus on the tinnitus and works it's magic through the night also while sleeping.
      Keep posting for support on the main forums for round the clock support ....lots of love glynis

9. tandpiano
      Relaxed

tandpiano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2010
      Kristen, You will get through this!!! I was where you are when I first got T from a severe ear infection. The sounds were maddening back then. I was crazy, lost 5lbs.. cried every day... went to the ER and begged the doctor to do something... there was no help and I suffered like I had never suffered before. Do not lose hope.. now is the time to find things that can help you get you through your days....and nights. I was put on a low dose of amitriptyline that helped. I slept with a fan running on high... I went for long rides in the car with the windows down... I prayed and prayed.. I had a audiologist tell me, that eventually it would go away.. or my body with absorb the sound and I would habituate it the sounds.. he was right.. though my sounds never completely went away.. My body has absorb a lot of the sound and I can living... with my T. I am praying for you Kristen... message me anytime. I am here for you. You are not alone and you will get through this... it just take time. Hang in there.. and try each day to find something that you enjoy or something to smile about... and when you go a minute or second without noticing your T... Rejoice! Hugs

10. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      One thing about t. You lose weight. That's a sure thing. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Hopefully your T is going to go away when your eustation tubes heal some. In the near future see your Dr. and get some meds that will calm you down and help you sleep if need be. I know how upset you are but you will get through this. My T never left from hearing loss from running loud equipment but im OK. I go to the healthclub almost everyday, keep myself busy to distract me from the ringing, and always keep music, TV or anything that makes sounds in my background. You are going to be OK just remember that !!!!!!! I doubt you will keep the T But if you did after a while you wont pay much attention to it and your brain kind of filters it out and you dont hear it most of the time.. Personally I think your hearing will go back to normal once your ears heal from the infection...