"Here" Active Listening Earbuds

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Rube, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Anyone heard of this? I just happened to hear about these ear buds on the radio.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dopplerlabs/here-active-listening-change-the-way-you-hear-the

Through two truly wireless, in-ear buds and a smartphone app, Here allows you to instantly control real world audio so you can hear what you want to hear - no matter the situation - and be fully immersed in your audio environment.

Here does not stream or play recorded music. Instead, the Digital Signal Processor (DSP) inside Here acts as a studio in your ears by providing you with a volume knob, equalizer and effects to transform real world audio. Use this “remote control for your ears” to have an optimal listening experience every time.

Here has been engineered to give you control of any and all live listening experiences: Suppress the jet engine on an airplane. Reduce a baby crying. Boost the bass at a club. Live mix a concert by adding reverb. Enhance your senses and personalize every listening experience.​

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      7fc6fa51a104a5d6a455891bf74e33d6_original.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dopplerlabs/here-active-listening-change-the-way-you-hear-the

Hi folks,

i advise you to check this new device out, i has not much to do with tinnitus itself but still the concept is great and i had the idea a few years ago.

The concept : earplugs with a microphone + a sound processor = you can use your smartphone to choose the sound attenuation in decibels, but you can also equalise all sounds !
      They have a preset that cuts down the sound of baby cries but leaving all other frequencies normal :)

If you look closely, the earbuds have a white microphone on the outside, so the sound are captured by the mic, processed by the chip inside and fed back into the ear canal, just like regular earbuds

They will be releasing their product in December 2015 !

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My wife has misophonia; this seems sort of perfect for that. Though, I suppose the generally recommended treatment for misophonia is various kinds of exposure therapy, and this seems directly contrary to that...

5. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Well i don't really know about misophonia therapy, but i always remember people cringing when someone was using chalk on boards at school and some others didn't bother at all, we aren't 100% equal when it comes to audio. Just like people wearing glasses i guess :)

6. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I've been watching these, very excited about the new technology coming out. It would be cool while working in quiet environments to turn a little ambient masking noise on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My wife literally has to plug her ears when people are chewing in a seat next to her or something. So, these could be a godsend if they work as well as they claim.

8. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    9. aoeud

aoeud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      Little late to the party, I just ordered the earbuds for misophonia and was trying to see if they can help with tinnitus too so I found this little forum. It's not clear on whether they'll work, will play around with them once I get them.

In any case, misophonia is MADE WORSE by exposure. No treatment has been demonstrated to work.

I think these earbuds are going to save my life.

10. joester

joester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1978
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really big explosion.
      I believe the premise of these is that they use two microphones, one on the ear buds and one on your smartphone. A sound "heard" on your smartphone can be selectively identified with the processor and electronically cancelled through the earphones. The microphone on the buds is for synchronization of the "negative" sound VS the actual sound. For people like me with tinnitus, this would not negate the T, but it could very well drown out the din in a restaurant or as the ad mentions, the roar of an airplane engine. Losing those sounds and amplifying the remaining sounds could be a real great help in keeping up with the conversation instead of trying to read lips.

I'm not sure about removing the sound of a gum chomper or other annoying sounds, but I don't see why not.

Keep us posted aoeud!

11. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Here Earbuds by Doppler Labs Review! (1st...

Pretty cool. Maybe someone can explain on a scientific level how these things work.

12. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Mricha37@linearb
      Hi, i got a pair last year and at least for me they work pretty well. They allow me to graduate the level of attenuation that i want so i can hear well other people while wearing them. I use them at the movies and social gatherings where there might be high music in the back with excellent results. I am planning to buy the second generation which is due by march that also allows streamming and phone functionality which mine dont have (they are just electronic adjustable earplugs), so i can put some masking (crickets, rain, whatever i like) in the back while wearing them. I do recommend them.

13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Mricha37

They are not as useful as they could be. One has to get used to wear them, and signal processing is cool, but it is oriented for live music listening. It is definitely the shape of things to come, and we will be getting better and better earbuds. Even the hearing aid companies are starting to wake up and offering new connectivity and features that go beyond their traditional function. I have already purchased the second generation Here (expecting delivery in a couple of months), and I will recommend to wait for new product to come out (HereOne).