Here Is How I Solved My Tinnitus — New Protocols and Supplements To Try

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by engineerLA, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Myrna Michell

Myrna Michell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distortion in one ear from head movement
      That posture is unusual and I don't have a misalignment. I was not standing 'square on'. However, yes, I've had cranial osteopathy in recent times, just once, to release neck muscles to see if it would sort out the right ear problem.

2. Myrna Michell

Myrna Michell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distortion in one ear from head movement
      Thanks. I used to have balance problems but it hasn't happened for a long time. It was suggested as labyrinthitis and not Meniere's.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @jay77

Around that time (first onset) I was also listening to pouring rain (rain season) for a couple of weeks.
      For me, with second more recent onset of T, tapering alprazolam was difficult. That was done late last summer.
      I don't plan on using alprazolam again, other than a 1/4 tablet on a rare occasion.
      My H now comes and goes depending on how faithful I use pink sounds.

5. Adzy
      Transparent

Adzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      I didn't want to wait a week to post an update because it's working so well. My ringing has reduced 80% and I've had periods of bliss silence. Whether you figure your TT is infection related, sound-induced or other the netti pot worked for me a great deal telling me I had/have some ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction). ETD could be your cause, if you havent already thoroughly moved on it. I will post back later when it's completely gone for atleast a day or two. BUT this guy right here, below, has done all the additional work for me. Leave it to the engineer. I'll be getting and doing all this guy recommends, especially in my case. Inflammation, which I mentioned earlear, indeed. Thanks @engineerLA!

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. PetitGarsTimide
      Caffeine

PetitGarsTimide Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dumb teenager who listened to loud music everytime
      This thread is a commercial lmao

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    7. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I was given cortisone for my tinnitus.

I think the ENT might have suspected this is caused by ETI (Eustachian tube infection) since I do have sinus problems.

But I actually did damage my hearing so..
      But I also did happen to have sinua infection at the same time.

8. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      It is possible the OP dissolved and/or weakened the bacterial biofilms that existed within his middle ear and possibly sinuses with the netipot . Then the Z pack completely killed whatever was holding on.

Personally I struggle with chronic otitis media since getting tinnitus. My ETs seem to function okay, I have no problem with pressure and popping my ears. As it is a mucosal issue I have, I believe I too have an issue with a microorganisms in my middle ear. I will try the netipot for a few months when I work up the courage.

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      What's a rife machine?

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      YES! This is what I am experiencing.

• Like Like x 2
    11. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      @JohnAdams i think(and hope) you'll end up curing your own tinnitus even before a legitimate cure comes out. The progress you've made through your own research is incredible, and maybe before your two year mark you will be free of this thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shewee that would be great.

My tinnitus at this point just seems to be due to nerve damage that comes and goes. Sometimes it goes away pretty much entirely and it is really astounding. My hyperacusis is one too.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      @JohnAdams Maybe nerves are the last to heal. The fact that it has become sort of intermittent is a great thing, though.

• Like Like x 3
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is hearing loss without tinnitus. Fact. That leads me to believe we can be healed without growing hair cells.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Is it possible to have eustachian tube inflammation without having any symptoms? My ears feel fine but I did get tinnitus from an ear infection in 2009. I tried the Valsalva maneuver but it did nothing for my tinnitus. I'm considering buying an EarPopper but I guess it would be a waste of money?

16. EliDeni

EliDeni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been up for the past 24 hours reading this entire thread....that's how desperate I am.

I woke up from a nap about a year ago with this high pitch noise in my ears. It's weird because my ears will "ring" on occasion along with the high pitch noise that's been ongoing since the day I woke up from that nap. I've had post nasal drip for as long as I can remember, I do have allergies and both nostrils take turns being stopped up. I had an MRI last year that showed some sinus issues. NOW, I've also developed this fullness in both ears going on now for about 2 weeks. I have in appointment with and ENT in 3 days so I'm really praying they give me answers, but does someone here have som for me? I'm desperate. I had a string of panic attacks last year for about 3 months and not even sure why. The T came a few months after those. But I'm so clogged up now and ears are still ringing. I'm also guilty of clenching my jaws and teeth ALL the time.

17. Enterprise

Enterprise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Allergies
      Hi everyone,

I think that engineerLA is on to something with his protocol, and there's a really easy way to tell if you're suffering from the same condition that he's described.

Plug your nose, and then attempt to inhale through your nose. If your tinnitus increases as you do so, then you're probably experiencing what he's describing.

From my experience, the most important treatment of the ones that he described is to avoid dairy. For some reason, dairy foods seem to make my eustachian tube issues much worse, which in turns makes my tinnitus worse. Treating allergies with the steroid/antihistamine spray combo he described, taking Allegra, and eliminating allergens from your environment (especially dust and dust mites) can help as well.

I would also add that sucking on a large lollipop, like the one's sold at See's Candies, also seems to help. Tinnitus gets worse while I'm sucking (negative pressure, probably), but after I'm done sucking on two of them, I usually see relief for several hours.

Drinking a lot of water may also help.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Enterprise

Enterprise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Allergies
      I had these same symptoms. I saw two ENTs who both said that they could find nothing wrong. The internet led me to some of the solutions that engineerLA recommended here, none of which really made a huge difference until I decided to cut dairy out of my diet and aggressively treat my dust mite and other allergies.

19. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      To suck or not to suck a lollipop?

That is the most important question on all tinnitus sufferers' minds right now.

20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
    21. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weed, Hidden Hearing Loss
      I have mild-moderate static/hissing noise that has been there since I got visual snow in September 2019. Well it used to be mild but it increased a bit since I used some headphones a week ago. My left ear popped and then all of a sudden I hear a more piercing version of the static. When I try popping my ears by holding my nose and swallowing, only my right ear pops and my left ear with the static does not pop. Is this a sign that it could be related to an issue in the tubes like OP says? I have a family history of inflammation and neural issues and Im wondering if my visual snow, DPDR, and tinnitus is all connected in that way.

22. Peanut Farm

Peanut Farm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      EDT
      Had a really nasty infection in my left ear last year from a perforated eardrum which led to mastoiditis, then Bells Palsy for a few months. Had temporary (mild) hearing loss in the left ear for about 3 months, the right ear was great.

After recovering from that (took about 304 months for the Bells Palsy to go away and have full function on the left hand side of my face), my right ear become blocked for no reason and started to get really throbbing tinnitus. So for the last 6 months, my right ear feels full and I couldn't pop it at all.

I recently bought a Eustachi & an Otovent I've been using it the last few days. It's weird because my right ear becomes even fuller once I use it? So I then bought a facial steamer and have been using that the last few days.

My tinnitus is just horrible, constant ringing in the ears, today however I felt a slight pop in my right ear so hopefully I am onto something.

In the next couple of weeks, I will try @engineerLA's method and report back.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Pattmtbgirl

Pattmtbgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      I normally would not post to a thread, however, the person who originally started this is on to something. He needs to know when his actions work. It appears many of the replies are what did not work.

I started off with mild tinnitus in May of 2020. I have a long history of adult allergies and earaches. I mountain bike three days a week which has made my allergies much worse over the years. I had surgery for something unrelated in 10/2020 and stopped taking my Allegra and nasal spray for two months since I was not going to be outside on my bike and the end result was a horrible increase in the tinnitus. I am now back on both meds but not much improvement and now the tinnitus has caused horrible anxiety which just makes the tinnitus worse. I have done a round of Medrol, it helped while on it, but not now.

Until I read this post and actually did everything he suggested, even the #7 advanced method and I am seeing some improvement. This does work but you have to be committed and patient. I have an ENT appointment and an allergist appointment over the next several weeks.

Thank you for your time and commitment to share this with us. I think people don't have the insight to know that the author's post is his experiences and they may not work for you.

24. Enterprise

Enterprise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Allergies
      I continue to agree with the OP. But, since I started trying his proposed protocols, I've discovered two additional things:

1. Dairy intake doesn't seem to have much effect for me. Just as a test, I spent a whole week drinking vanilla milkshakes with lunch, and saw no increase or decrease in my tinnitus.

2. Intake of cured meats containing nitrates and nitrites do seem to make quite a difference. When I stopped eating cured bacon with my breakfast, I saw a moderate drop-off in tinnitus within 48 hours, and then a much slower tapering for several weeks since then. I actually stopped because I experienced an episode of gout, where my ankle swelled up and become incredibly painful. I also combined this dietary change with an effort to drink a LOT of water, and so it is also possible that it was the water that made the difference.