Here Is How I Solved My Tinnitus — New Protocols and Supplements To Try

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by engineerLA, Oct 18, 2014.

1. brenda cooper

brenda cooper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2014
      well engineer, thank you for your post! No 7 worked for me! Yay, I say!
      I was getting really fed-up with the tinnitus (in both ears I think) and am thrilled to say it has already improved/reduced after 3 goes at saline nasal irrigation. I will continue with the nasal irrigation for a few more days to make sure my eustachian tubes are completely clear. Thanks again! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dreamagain

Dreamagain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello I'm just curious - what's the difference between buying that $170 ear popper machine and simply holding an empty water bottle to one nose, closing the other, and swallowing while pushing air through the bottle?

• Like Like x 1
    3. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      havent read all this but anyone using a neti pot if it gets in your ears get used to louder sounds

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use a neti pot a lot; I have gotten spikes from water in the wrong place but they have all been temporary and not scary. YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Wow. Just wow. I feel like if most people try your protocol they will find a great treatment. Man, I'll give a go to this right after being prescribed with antibiotics.

6. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
    7. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Hi all, I think I'm going to try some of these things as I'm sure my tinnitus has something to do with my Eustachian tube(s?)

Can anyone guide me in what NOT to do/other important things, as I do not want to get this wrong and risk further damage.

Thank you in advance.

8. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Hi all, no idea if I should try this stuff. I posted this in another thread if someone can help me at all?

These are things I have noticed that might contribute to my tinnitus:

-One nostril is always blocked. The nostril changes from time to time but if I block the clear nostril, then the other is very stuffy and hard to breathe from.

-If I block one nostril and breathe in, my ear starts to "close up". There is a sensation of the tubes closing up or getting tighter.

-There is a clicking sensation near my ear/cheek area when I speak. Sometimes the clicking is louder than other times but its there to some degree.

-Sometimes I get a different kind of tinnitus (sometimes lower pitched, sometimes higher) that lasts for about 10 seconds. It seems to happen about once a month maybe. It's as if air is getting sucked out of my ear and there is a brief tinnitus that comes along with it. In fact, my tinnitus first started with that sensation.

-I always have some amount of mucous that I can hock up and spit out. It has never really bothered me but its there and the mucous is somewhat yellow.

Should I try Engineer's protocols? Its been about 1 year since I've had tinnitus, and its gotten louder recently.

9. Phones
      Dreaming

Phones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/headphones ?
      @ engineer , your link was to turmeric capsules I think ? Do you recommend liquid or the former ?

10. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I need help with this too.

11. George123

George123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinus flush
      Hi! This is my first post in a Tinnitus related forum, this thread caught my attention for various reasons, and I also need to WARN people. To understand why, here my story how I even GOT the tinnitus I have now.

I suffered from a sinus problem about 2 (or 3?) years back so I scoured the internet like now for "alternative treatments". I read up on anything and can say I have really become an "expert" in things like sinus rinses, etc.

I came across a thread on a forum that mentioned a "reverse sinus flush", which is basically exactly what you describe with forcing water into your Eustachian Tube. (Yes, I got the sinugator but back at the time I did it with a squeeze bootle).

While I "reverse flushed" my sinuses, I got startled and some water must have gotten IN MY EUSTACHIAN TUBE. Unfortunately I didn't know about the danger back then or knew a way how relieve the pressure/water.

My ears started to hurt for several hours.

SINCE THEN, AND WITHOUT A BREAK for now 3 years, I have a very high pitched Tinnitus in my left ear.
      The water in the Eustachian Tube and then the pressure on the ear CAUSED my Tinnitus. If I wouldn't have done this, I wouldn't have the problem and wouldn't even read this forum thread.

Understand my puzzled reaction that you recommend basically the same thing, forcing water into your ET to relieve sinus.

You are correct, there must be a correlation between ET and tinnitus, but what this correlation is I don't know. I am not a doctor but with my limited knowledge I'd say water found its way into the inner ear and either damaged or did something to some hair-cells, causing the T. (Or the pressure as a result from the water in the ET).

Fortunately, the T. doesn't "bother" me during the day and only at night in bed, but I have a fan running for masking noises anyway. I feel like a fool that I did something 2-3 years ago which got me permanent Tinnitus so I am extremely skeptical about you saying that what I did could help RELIEVE it.

(I have other, non-scientific theories what could have happened, like that the salt water [yes, NEVER EVER use tap water for a sinus rinse!!] deposited salt and "glued" or crusted haircells or made them otherwise immobile, causing the T. Such a theory could explain relief by doing this again, since you would loosen the crust and the hairs become mobile again, but after some time when the water evaporates/has flown out they are "stuck" again. <--- Entirely unscientific theory on my side)

** I am also always amazed how the intensity of the T. seems to depend on "psychological things", it is most intense when I got little sleep. I have no explanation for this.

*** Let me add that because of how I know what and when I caused my T. I can rather safely exclude an inflammation, respective have no reason to assume that my ET would be inflamed for now 3 years..causing the T. This seems really unlikely to me.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I remain really skeptical of the belief tinnitustalk members have that Valsalva-like activities can cause tinnitus.

I know a lot of people in real life who have allergies just as severe as mine, who blow their noses against resistance from inflammation and snot, forcing air and liquids into their middle ears through their Eustachian tube (this happens nearly EVERY TIME you blow your nose).

Of all of my severely allergic friends and relatives, I'm the only one who developed T. I don't see the connection. I mean, I guess if you blew your nose SO HARD that your eardrum exploded maybe you could give yourself T, but I don't see that happening.

• Like Like x 1
    13. George123

George123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinus flush
      Well..*something* happened when I did the Sinus flush and water accidentally got into my ET/inner ear. There is a undeniable connection. Maybe some "normal" blowing of the nose etc. isn't enough to cause it, but in my case it 100% and definitely was the reason for my T. It started basically hours from when I got the water in and my ears hurt from the pressure.
      (It is my understanding that T. is damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, so they're permanently firing "wrong" information, but it may well be there are other causes as well)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Gregoire
      Insomnious

Gregoire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music + dental cares + stress
      @engineerLA
      I've got the nose blocked since one month now and I noticed that my T is worse , probably because all of the pollen in the air
      I baugh a neti pot just to give it a try , it's worth trying everything :)
      I also wanted to buy your Turmeric concentrate but on the website they said you need to call them .... (call for approval) , what's is this ? I live in UK by the way.
      Thanks you

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Maybe using saltwater, like a bottle of saline water from Walgreens plus using a EarPopper would work? I find it difficult to do the valsalva maneuver....seems plugged.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I've used a NP very frequently. Have gotten some on my ears before a little bit. Did not get a spike or any increase.

17. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Roughly 1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      @engineerLA and anyone has tried an "ear popper" or similar device that blows air into the sinus to open the eustachian tube, I just ordered one of these devices and am pretty excited to give it a try. I am wondering if you have any specific tips or things to expect the first time you try it. I rarely try the close your nose and blow thing due to the fear that it might do more damage to my hearing.

My tinnitus is quite a bit more pronounced in my left ear, which I find strange because my right ear has been exposed to quite a bit more loud noises from playing in a band. Anyway, my left ear rarely gets a good "pop" and seems noticeably more clogged or "full" than the right.

If this device can get rid of a bit of the "full" feeling I have in my left ear even without doing anything for the tinnitus I will call it a success.

18. Alex1990

Alex1990 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I don't know if any of you guys are still on here today but this was a ton of help. I was actually looking into turmeric instead of prednisone. It seems like a much better alternative!

20. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I recently got the Otovent for my tubes and have used it several times with no benefit. I am serious doubts that my tubes are clogged, there's a who list of symptoms of blocked tubes that I don't have and it seems most blockages are temporary. Doesn't a visit to an ENT rule this out right away? I certainly hope so.

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation?? Eustachian Tube Disorder? Cervical Injury?
      Hi. I have been trying my Neti pot for a few days now. But how do I do the nose/mouth irrigation? I can only do the nostril to nostril. I force some air after the irrigation and feel some strange pop on my T left ear, and some reliefe after so am keen to try the nose to mouth. Thanks

22. AllEars

AllEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew....no hearing loss
      @RaZaH or anyone else that has experienced this - I get the weird cracking / popping sounds as well. Swallowing produces the loudest sound but just opening my mouth and breathing in produces cracking sounds also. I am sure it has something to do with my Eustachian tubes. Did you ever have any success in figuring this out?

23. Ameezan

Ameezan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, Headphones and earphones
      Hi,

If you have Tinnitus due to loud noise i.e concert, club, overly use headphones, earphones etc, don't worry. There a few steps that you can do to make your tinnitus go away.

Let me draw an analogy between tinnitus due to loud noise and bodily fatigue due to running a marathon.

After running a marathon, most people do feel fatigue. The body needs to recover from the strenuous activity. In order to recover from the fatigue, a marathon runner will need to take protein supplements to quickly repair the muscle tissue and consume carbohydrate to replenish the drained energy. The runner also need to take adequate rest by sleeping and not engaging in other strenuous activity until he is fully recovered. Sometimes the runner will go for sport massage to loosen up all the tight muscles due to the running activity. Likewise our ears. After the ears exposed to loud noise, the nerves system in in our ears do gets fatigue (this is because the loud noise has overly excited the nervous system in the inner ear). We need to provide our body the proper nutrition so that our body can start repairing/soothing the overly excited nerves system in our ears. Take a combination of 400mcg Magnesium + 1000mcg Calcium + 15mcg Zinc ( these are the standards recommended daily dosage). These minerals can help to sooth the excited nervous system. You also need to consume Vitamin B-Complex (For an example, it is well known that B12 helps regulate the nervous system and plays a role in red blood cell formation). Next, apply accupressure around the ears in order to increase blood flows to the inner ears (there are many ear massage techniques in Youtube). Lastly, give the ears some rest. No more loud noise for the next 48hrs to 72hrs. Do not even use headphones or earphones at any volume at all. The ears need to rest too. Gods willing, your Tinnitus will go away in few days.

Footnote: Most of people do not consume enough Magnesium and Vitamin B-Complex. The general population throughout the world are under nourish of these important mineral and vitamin.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      I did valsalva everyday for nearly 5 months about 30 times each hour. No issues here, and I think it cured my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    25. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I tried the ear popper waste of time I have pressure feels clogged clicking on swallowing for years thought it was ETD tried all of the treatments ,I believe now its a red herring I say its all part of the symptoms of Tinnitus, I prove this now with hearing aids when I put them in not only does the perception of T ease off by about 50% so does the fullness,

26. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah but why did JFK endorse the damn thing then? :)
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-earpopper-machine.1061/#post-36298
      This might work if your noise is really ETD caused:
      http://www.gluear.co.uk/how-it-works/
      How to use the Otovent

27. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That could be as most of us have some inner ear damage. ETD could be a factor also for some people as well as stress.

28. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      carlover
      I just ordered a Eustachi tube exerciser ($60) from Amazon. Very similar to the Tube Popper but at 1/3 the price.
      I used it a few times the first day and it reduced my inner ear pressure almost immediately. My Tinnitus (noise induced) of about 8 months also was noticeably quieter. I am very satisfied so far. My ears felt full and crackled when I swallowed. It will take more than a couple days of using it, but I'm glad I tried it. I'm sorry you didn't have much success with it, but it may help some people.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation?? Eustachian Tube Disorder? Cervical Injury?
      @carlover

Could you come back in a couple of weeks and tell us how it is going with the tube exerciser?

Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does it help with ear fullness too?