Hey — Tinnitus Worsened 6 Months Ago (Also Diagnosed with Anaemia and Fibromyalgia)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lyndsey K, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Lyndsey K

Lyndsey K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000 or earlier.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi everyone. I'm Lyndsey. I'm 35 and I've had mild tinnitus as long as I can remember. I think I had it as a child, I just had no idea everyone else didn't hear the sounds I did. As I got older it would come and go in intensity and change pitch but was always there. I used to laugh to myself when I heard the phrase 'the sound of silence' as to me that was always the unpleasant high pitched ringing tones. I've had fibromyalgia for 15 years, and thyroid cancer with radiotherapy.

About 6 months ago my health got dramatically worse and I was diagnosed with anaemia from iron, folate and B12 deficiency. I started on methylfolate and methylcobalamin supplements and within a couple of days I noticed my tinnitus had gotten much worse.

I initially put it down to the anemia as I was experiencing other neurological symptoms alongside palpitations and anxiety, difficulties with night vision and muscle weakness.

I've been supplementing 4 months now and have seen some improvement in other ways but the ringing has remained, far more intense and loud than before and it no longer varies, it's the same pitch and loudness all the time. I thought it was hard before, but I had no idea it could be like this.

Right now I'm not sure how to live like this the rest of my life. I asked for help some years ago and was told to join a support group.

I know now I can try hearing aids and things, I'm not giving up hope of some relief, it's just so difficult to function.

I have two children to look after and I cant sleep. I was hoping that a few months of supplements might ease it if it was damage caused by the vitamin deficiencies but I'm less hopeful now.

I started getting stabbing pains in my ears about 6 months ago too, the doctor did a quick look and blamed my fibromyalgia but I don't think it's that.

Any advice on where to start looking for help please.

Many thanks,
      Lyndsey.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyndsey K

Lyndsey K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000 or earlier.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thankyou very much. It's a relief to know that theres a good chance this flare up could ease in time. I'd do almost anything to get back to the level it was 6 months ago. Lots to investigate there to give myself the best chance to ease this.