Hey all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Larry Chu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Larry Chu

Larry Chu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I haven't read any your posts yet, but my name is Larry. I have pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear that started around October 2011. I hope I can get advice from you all and I hope this forum will help me with my search for a doctor not too far away from me that has experience and is interested in pulsatile tinnitus.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Larry, and welcome!

I have pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, too. You've come to the right place to find support, good advice, and up-to-date information about tinnitus.

How did your pulsatile tinnitus start? Did it begin suddenly? Also, how did you learn that you have pulsatile tinnitus? I had never heard of pulsatile tinnitus until I started looking around the web in desperation. I found some information, read the symptoms, and realized that it described me!

Have you been to any doctors yet for your condition? It's probably a good idea to go to a doctor, if you can find a good one (ENT or neurotologist), to rule out any other problems you might have.

You may want to also look at whooshers.com, if you haven't already discovered it. There, you'll find lots of information and support for those of us with this condition.

When you have a chance, read some of the threads on this forum. There's lots of interesting information here!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Larry Chu

Larry Chu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Thanks, Karen!

It suddenly began around the start of October 2011. I had my wisdom teeth pulled around the end of August and I was also swimming a lot in the ocean, and the pool over summer, so those could have been contributing factors to the pulsatile tinnitus.

I searched online after a few weeks of the noise in my ear and I found what it was called. I put off seeing a doctor until a year later and I had a CT scan and an MRI, but the doctor didn't notice anything from the scans. I want to keep looking for a cure, and I have read a few things from people with similar stories and those have given me hope.

I'm actually going back to the ENT again tomorrow and I'm bringing a few things with me that I have found online about pulsatile tinnitus, including Dr. Mattox's published article on Sigmoid Sinus Diverticulum. Hopefully it will give my doctor some insight about how to look at my scans or order new scans. If none of this works, I'll be forced to look for a better doctor.

If worse comes to worse, I have already created a mindset that I think will get me through life if I do not resolve the pulsatile tinnitus so I'll be all right, but probably not as happy as I could be. I hope the best of luck to everyone who has tinnitus and I thank you all for any support.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Larry -- We have a similar situation. I've had the same tests you've had, and they found nothing. Sometimes having dental work can be a contributing factor to tinnitus (of all types), so yours might have something to do with that. And so could swimming/diving. I'll be interested to hear what your ENT has to say about the sigmoid sinus diverticulum.

A question: Is your pulsatile tinnnitus subjective or objective? (Can the doctor hear your pulsing when using a stethoscope?)

You're right to have a positive mindset through all of this; it took me quite a while to learn how to live with my condition. I've never given up hope, and am still looking for possible solutions, but I'm also aware that I may not find any answers in the near future. In the meantime, my pulsating (after 2 1/2 years) has actually improved! That is, it's still there, but has gotten much softer and less noticeable.

Please update us after you go to the ENT; hope you're able to find some answers!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Larry Chu

Larry Chu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      The ENT doctor never tried listening to my pulse. The doctor was more enthusiastic about my problem this time and seemed genuinely intrigued by Dr. Mattox's research article. However, the doctor was honest, and said that they were not as qualified in the area of Pulsatile Tinnitus, and referred me to another doctor that is more specialized for the ears.

That's great that it is less severe! Hopefully not so soft that it's even harder to determine the cause, and you can still hear it. Is yours subjective or objective? And do you know any information about the differences?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. Larry,
      I'm glad that your ENT was helpful to you this time around. What type of doctor did he refer you to? I have been to a couple of neurotologists, who are more specialized. Neither one found anything unusual in my MRI/MRA or CT scan. I haven't had a CT scan with contrast, however (I believe that is called a CTA). Have you had that test yet? I was a little afraid of the test, because of the injection of iodine into the veins (I'm a thyroid patient), but if all else fails, I may still have that done.

As to subjective and objective pulsatile tinnitus -- In subjective tinnitus, no one else can hear the pulsating sound except the patient. In objective tinnitus, it is possible for others to hear the sound. And, in objective tinnitus, it is more likely that there is a vascular cause that a doctor can identify through testing. At least, that's what I've read.

A question for you: Are you able to momentarily stop the pulsating sound when you press on the carotid artery on the right side of your neck? My doctors have tried that with me, but it doesn't do anything to lessen my pulsating sound. How I wish it did!

I've had this for almost 3 years now, and at times my pulsating seems less severe, but I can definitely still hear it , and it is bothersome (feels like my head is always vibrating) and frightening, although I'm trying to live as normally as possible.

It's comforting to hear from others, like yourself, who also have this condition. I am trying to be hopeful that a cause will be identified for us, and if not, we must do our best to be positive and lead a normal life!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Larry Chu

Larry Chu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I was referred to another ENT doctor who "fellowshipped" in the area of the ear. Which I guess it means that he has more training for tinnitus. I have not had any scans with injections for contrast yet, but I probably will eventually.

Yeah, I can stop the pulsating sound by applying pressure to a certain area on the right side of my neck, but it eventually begins to feel odd if I continue holding the pressure.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Larry,
      I hope the new ENT doctor is able to help you, and/or give you some answers. Being able to stop it by pressing on the neck may indicate it is vascular; hopefully, the doctor will perform that test and be able to evaluate you.

In my case, more than one doctor has tried pressing on my neck to see if it has stopped the pulsating, and it did not. My pulsating started right after I got off an ace inhibitor drug, so it may be more stress-caused.

I hope you are able to find some answers soon!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Larry Chu

Larry Chu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      What's not stress caused these days? I hope you get better too.

10. countrygal

countrygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july/2007
      Hi Larry, I've suffered from this in my right ear since 2007 and have been to two different ENT Docs and no one has a clue. I've had 1 MRI done, no problems there. The 2nd ENT suggested a MRA, which I haven't had done since its expensive and I'm now on Medicare.
      I just went to ER because of dizzyness and they just put a lot of drugs in my system and said I might have several issues that may be causing this and it could get worse. I have not found a doctor yet who has the expertise to find out what is really going on with my ear and head.
      I hope you have better luck finding the answer and if you do, please reply.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Countrygal,

Do you have pulsating tinnitus, too? Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I have both ringing and pulsating in my right ear only. I've been to several doctors and had the tests I mentioned above (MRI/MRA, and CT scan). So far, they haven't found anything. I've kind of given up on doctors for now, and am going to a chiropractic neurologist, thinking that it might be brain-related.

My ringing and pulsating seem to have gotten a little better, or maybe I've just gotten used to it.

How did yours start?