Hi Everyone, First Noticed My Tinnitus Earlier This Year

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by queencookie, Jun 17, 2019.

1. queencookie

queencookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm Jane and I first noticed my tinnitus earlier this year. It put me into a panic to start with, scared something was seriously wrong. I hoped it would go away on its own but after a month with no change I saw a Dr who suggested a hearing test and to make another appointment once I had the results. Hearing test showed a mild hearing loss. Audiologist told me there wasn't any point in going back to the Dr as nothing can be done for tinnitus.

Fortunately mine doesn't keep me awake but I find it hard to block it out when trying to listen to music which I find very frustrating. My tinnitus is worse when I've not had enough sleep and when I'm stressed, it's better when I'm outside where there's a lot of background noise.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has yours decreased at all since the start? Is yours somatic meaning can you change it by moving your neck or jaw? Do you know how you got it? Noise trauma?

3. Djstarkiss
      Badass

Djstarkiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hey sorry about your luck, welcome to the forum, glad it does not affect your sleep.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Hello, welcome to Tinnitus talk.

Mild hearing loss ranges so much person to person, some people with "mild hearing loss" have extreme difficulty hearing in background noise but can hear fine in quiet environments. Because the hearing test is so lacking.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      queencookie

queencookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It hasn't decreased at all. There are times when it increases but generally it is the same. I feel like it is worse on the left side although my hearing loss is the same in both ears.

No I can't change it at all and I don't know how I got it. Like most people, at some time, I've been exposed to loud music but not regularly.

The audiologist thinks its due to the hearing loss but there are other things I wonder about (is it due to a bad sinus infection I had, is it caused by an impacted wisdom tooth, is it menopause related? I have a lot creaking in my neck, could that be a cause?)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      queencookie

queencookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Than
      Thank you

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      queencookie

queencookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you. I can hear low pitched noises well but not higher pitched ones. My Tinnitus is a very high pitched ringing sound and I wasn't sure whether that was causing the hearing loss or the hearing loss was causing the Tinnitus.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The hearing loss and tinnitus go hand in hand. The question is why do you have hearing loss? Occupation? Concerts? Earbuds? Home noise exposure? Ototoxic meds? The audiologists and ENT's lose interest too often in figuring this out once they realize you don't need a hearing aid, or an operation.