Hi, I'm Semtis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by semtis, Dec 21, 2018.

1. semtis
      Tired

semtis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi!
      I am semtis. I am 27.

How I got my tinnitus:

I got my tinnitus in November 2010 after prolonged exposure to loud music. Tinnitus developed in both ears and it had a very high frequency "pure tone". At the time my tinnitus was very quiet and I could only hear it if there was no other sound in the room. Tinnitus in my right ear was a bit louder than in my left ear and I really had to concentrate to hear it in my left ear. At first I had trouble going to sleep, but after a few months it was manageable. I started to use foam ear plugs (-35 db) for prolonged or excessive noise. In 2014 I got myself rubber ear plugs (-17db) as the foam ones did give me blisters sometimes.

How it progressed:

In November of 2014 it got worse after another sound exposure. The difference was barely noticeable, as I only noticed it if I had a long day when I would be exposed to higher than normal volumes. It showed as a "funny" feeling in my ears and I could hear it also in my left ear without having to concentrate as much as before. But I could still go to sleep normally.

In summer of 2015 I noticed my tinnitus would rise in volume after strenuous exercise, but it would return to previous levels after 20-30 minutes.

In November of 2015 it got really bad after a sound exposure. This is the first time I went to see a doctor, but it was in emergency room. They told me I had some redness in my right ear, both of my ear drums are fine and I got prescription for Betaserc and another appointment two days later to test my hearing, which showed "perfect" hearing except 5 decibel dip at 6000 hertz on my right ear. In the two days volume of tinnitus did reduce, but it was louder than before the exposure and now I could hear it even if there was sound in the room and I could hear it in my left ear without having to concentrate at all, the frequency in both ears lowered from very high to high.

Betaserc had some effects, the frequency lowered a tiny bit, but went back up after I finished the course of treatment, the sound of tinnitus also changed, which I believe was objective tinnitus (hearing blood flow), but that reverted as well after I finished the treatment. During the treatment I would sometimes slightly lose my sense of balance after standing up; the feeling was different than when you suddenly stand up after lying down for a while. Overall it did nothing to help my tinnitus.

In 2016 going to sleep was starting to become not as easily doable as before, due to increased volume of tinnitus, but during day time I could still function normally as long as there was no excessive noise. In summer of 2016 I got myself custom ear plugs (-25db).

In November 2016 after another sound exposure and a road trip volume of my tinnitus spiked higher than ever before, it did go down after a few days, but it was noticeably louder than before.

In February 2017 I noticed I could no longer function normally after exposure to "normal" sounds after 3 or 4 hours (start of my hyperacusis). I would get pain in my ears after long conversations along with increase in volume of my tinnitus and had to completely remove myself from noisy environments due to pain. I started to severely limit personal interaction with others.

In early May 2017 I got a spike after a sound exposure and when I was going to sleep I had my first "panic" attack, cold sweat, feeling of impending doom and elevated heart rate. Spike took 5 days to subside. In July I got a spike after 60 km car ride and it took a week to subside. In August I got a spike after another 60 km car ride and this time it took 3 weeks to subside.

In September 2018 I got a spike after sound exposure and tinnitus in one of my ears changed from "pure tone" to really annoying continuous “white sound”. That completely reverted in about 2 weeks.

My situation now, as of December 2018:

I can not function normally. Social activities, shopping and most sports are impossible for me, because of tinnitus and hyperacusis (pain in the ear from sound). Traveling is a huge issue. I prefer being up at night and sleep during the day. I sleep with Peltor’s earmuffs. I can read books and watch movies, but with volume so low I need subtitles. I rarely listen to music and even then for a short period. When I am exposed to excessive noise, my tinnitus rises in volume and I get pain in my ears. Because of that I will wear ear protection most of the time, and I will be limited to reading only, until the spike passes. This is extremely frustrating, because it feels like life is passing by and I can only sit and read. If a spike is severe I will stay up so long until I feel I will be able to fall asleep in under a minute. Traveling by car even for 10 km and with double ear protection will result in a spike and ear pain. It seems all I can do is read, watch movies, browse the net and go for nightly walks and this is very isolating.

As long as I am not experiencing a spike and/or pain I can think clearly. I try to go for a 60 minute walk everyday.

My hope is that by 2022 or 2023 we will get a cure that will enable me to live a normal life.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What were your noise exposures? sorry about your condition.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi Semtis, welcome here. I hope you'll find all the support you need.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You mention "sound exposure" five times in your post above. What were those sound exposures? Was it the sound of a concert without earplugs? with earplugs? a gunshot? a fire alarm?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      semtis
      Tired

semtis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The cause of my initial ear injury was a concert without earplugs with combination of a long car drive the next day, most of which was spent playing loud music. I guess my ears did not have proper resting time, I believe it was less than 12 hours. November 2014 exposure was a concert in which I for the first time used the rubber plugs (-17db) instead of the foam ones. Evidently, those plugs did not provide sufficient protection. November 2015 and 2016 were concerts with proper plugs, with 2016 one being combined with 2000 km trip. May 2017 was listening to music on headphones (I do not remember volume or duration) and spending the day outside on a very windy day. The winds were about 35km/h on average, if I remember correctly. September 2018 was listening to music on speakers for 30 minutes. I do remember the volume settings and someone else will soon test the decibels with a phone app.

6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Thank you Semtis. I hope you avoid concerts now ;)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      semtis
      Tired

semtis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The September 2018 spike was caused by listening to music for 30 minutes on speakers with average sound level of 42 dB with max peak of 58 dB. I was not wearing ear protection. The sound level values were measured by a phone with five apps and then averaged.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don’t think sound level of 42 or 58 dB would do any damage even after a long exposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is impossible for giraffes to have such long necks.

10. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I think it's probably more likely to say a phone can't properly measure dB coming out of an earpod or headphone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What?

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Both giraffe's necks and people getting T spikes as a result of relatively quiet noises are bizarre things that shouldn't exist. But both DO exist. Now take a look at the post that I was responding to.

13. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      semtis
      Tired

semtis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Update:

In June 2019 my neighbors were renovating and they lied about when they would be drilling (I live in an apartment building). I was too depressed to actually move away for a week. That resulted in higher tinnitus base line. A few days later my left ear has developed a condition. I feel weird “vibration” when

talking, but it becomes especially apparent when I’m flossing. Funnily it doesn’t vibrate as much when I’m flossing bottom left quadrant.

In September 2019 on the 28th, which is a Saturday, a different neighbor started renovating and was drilling for 6 hours. The whole time I was sleeping. My tinnitus base line is now higher than ever.

Stress and frustration are taking a toll, however I try to remain positive. My hyperacusis improved a little and I still try to exercise one hour a day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      semtis
      Tired

semtis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Update:

On October 15th my downstairs neighbor changed their windows, there was drilling involved of course. The shaking of the bed woke me up. I was exposed to noise for less than 5 minutes, but there was about 10 seconds of pain inducing noise, even though I was wearing double ear protection by that time. In the next days I noticed higher tinnitus level and hearing impairment in my right ear. Today on the 18th the hearing seems to be OK, but I feel like the tinnitus base has increased permanently. Maybe the stress of the event is making me feel that way.

I remain positive. My hyperacusis has gotten better as of late and I can listen to quiet music for short periods without issues.