Hi. Just Saw ENT Today

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Scarlet, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been experiencing a buzzing in my ears for the last few days, so I saw the ENT today. He cleaned out wax blockages in both ears, and it seemed that the buzzing went away for a while. However, it's back. We don't know if it was the wax that had been causing the buzzing (and my mind is now playing tricks on me) or if it's something else. I'm so new to this, and being someone who suffers from OCD and anxiety, I fear I'm making it worse.

This all started after I took a quick business trip last week (I flew twice). I had some "normal" buzzing/ringing in the past, but it always went away really quickly. I also have some other possible "culprits': dehydration (was working out a lot), allergies, stress/anxiety.

Can anyone tell me if it can take a while after an ear cleaning for the noise to subside?

ETA: I just noticed another thread about visiting NY with T. I lived in NYC up until a month ago and I never had a problem with T - ever. It's just now a couple of weeks into living in a more suburban setting that it's come on.

Thank you all so much.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi and yes the noise can disappear

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Scarlet . hi it's early days yes it can go away and it probably will. Try not to worry about it I know that it's hard not to. Wish you all the very best on your recovery.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you both. I'm trying not to focus on whether the sound is there or isn't, but it's so hard! I follow up with my GP today as well. In trying to figure out what could be causing this, the only thing I've been able to figure out is that I have several possible factors. I know with certainty, though, that I never heard this noise in NYC. Ever. I remember on the rare instances that it would be totally still and quiet in my apartment that I would like in bed enjoying the silence! No buzzing, no nothing.. This really has me baffled.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @Scarlet . There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including drug reaction or side-effects, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, neck muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from flight, grief for the loss of love ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. Can your T be anxiety/stress related? If so, try to stay as calm and positive as possible. More stress and anxiety will just aggravate T. If you can't do it by will power, try some natural herbs for calming the nerves, such as Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, Melatonin etc. You can google search each of them to know their use and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

You may want to try masking it so you won't be so anxious. If you haven't done so, here are some suggestions:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune, or use smart phone. You can also order some nature sounds via ‘itune’ to play on your PC.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for the response, billie! I actually have several of the factors (I even flew twice last week- and then this happened). I am hoping and praying that it's temporary! I also have had bouts of TMJ, and I had a dental implant in December on the right side of my mouth, and since then, I've done most of my chewing on the left (that's where all the pressure is going). I'll look through all the links you posted. Thank you again!!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm also thinking that maybe the pillow I've been suing since I moved is part of the problem. It's a really hard TV type pillow (you know, the kind with the arms). I wonder if it's bad for my neck and that's contributing to the problem?

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If your T is somatic type then yes muscle tension can aggravate T and an umcomfortable pillow to strain your neck may not be too helpful.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. I slept on proper pillows last night, and it seems to be a bit bitter today. Not sure if it's my imagination or what, but I'll take it!