Hi, my name is Jill. I live in South Australia.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jill Edmonds, Nov 1, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      I have had tinnitus for over 10 years.
      I sustained Eustachian Tube damage in my right ear while flying while having a cold.
      It is a long and sorry saga.
      Surgery was performed to block the tube as I was having what is called autophony - hearing an echo in my ear when I speak.
      It was major surgery through the skull behind the ear.
      I ended up with 3 months of infections - the autophony was cured but then the tinnitus started.
      I guess I have tried every treatment known to man and woman!
      Neuromonics, low laser therapy (expensive and a rip off), supplements, sound therapy and on and on.
      Currently I use a sound machine purchased through the British Tinnitus Association - it does dampen it a bit.
      The things I avoid like the plague are salt, MSG and tomatoes - also some spices.
      I am looking forward to being part of your group!

2. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      You have been through so much, and tried so many treatments. So many different kinds and causes of tinnitus as well as treatments that work for some and not others.
      I have learned so much from the people on this forum and continue to look for relief in some form.
      You have come to the right place for support and information, this is a worldwide group with current information.
      So glad I found the people here, they have helped through some really bad days.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Welcome to the forum Jill, sorry to hear about your T, read up the posts lots of good info here and helpful people too. I was just reading about low level laser therapy, it said it does help one in seven people....was thinking about giving it a try.....but not quite sure....

4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Same here Jill I avoid salt, msg ,and red pepper etc....interesting about tomatoes..... Hadn't thought of it....

5. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Do they offer it in Canada? Not sure about the US, was considering it too.

6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes Leah they have a clinic in Calgary , Alberta......and that's not where I am.... Would have to go there for a while...planning to call the clinic tomorrow and ask for the rates etc.

7. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Please keep posted:)

8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Will do so, Leah.

9. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Thank you Lea - it is good to know that there are others for support!

10. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Thank you Sherri.
      I hope that you have some luck with the laser therapy.
      I stuck it out for about 8 sessions - part of the cost was covered by our Medicare system but there was still a "gap" to pay and it became expensive with no improvement - however, it might be great for you.
      The Dr has clinics in three other states and does a lot of alternative therapies for migraine etc - I just felt that he was on a money making winner funded by Medicare.
      I'm an RN and perhaps overly suspicious!

11. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      You're absolutely right Jill, one has to be careful, I've already lost quite a bit of money on online books etc.
      You're right about tomatoes, it may spike the t as it has citric acid in it. Best wishes and hope u feel better soon xx
      Thanks.

12. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      What makes you think Low Level Laser Therapy is a rip off? I consider doing it.

LLLT is most effective for noise damaged cochlea I believe, and most effective in young males (ME!!)

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      In my case, I'm not overly confident about LLLT's capabilities, mainly because I've never heard anyone say their tinnitus got better by it.

I guess it's possible none of those who have had success with the treatment have come back online to tell about their positive experience.

But I've seen many stories by people on the internet who've opted for the treatment, only to find no success with it.

I know that some lasers are supposedly not strong enough - and that some of the studies finding LLLT ineffective have used these supposedly ineffective lasers.

However, if the stronger lasers were truly effective for tinnitus, how on earth is it not bigger news in the tinnitus world?

Maybe we should get a couple of dozen of people interested in this treatment and go to Dr. Wilden (who uses the strong ones, right?), and find out how many of our group will get benefit. If nobody's tinnitus improves, then that's pretty much the proverbial nail in the coffin.

The cost is an issue, though. It's not exactly cheap to go for 10-20 sessions.

Nonetheless, it would be kind of interesting to see how a group of tinnitus sufferers on TT would react to the so-called proper LLLT.

I know there is one or two studies claiming success with the treatment.

---

Oh, and, @Jill Edmonds, :welcomesignanimation:

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      @jes here on the forum said he was almost tinnitus free for 10 years after laser treatment

15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      That's interesting. I suppose his tinnitus could have improved regardless, but who knows?

16. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I've found the facebook of overview for darkmoose and messaged him. He is undergoing the treatment atm I think. Or one month ago or something.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Please tell him that TT members are eager to know how his treatment goes. Maybe he can join and update us in the LLLT thread.

Thanks for the detective work! (I'm not sure how easy it was to find his FB).

• Like Like x 1
    18. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      He has the same username on fb, hehe. So I just guessed.

19. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Wow well done, Erlend !

20. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
    21. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      hi jill,
      i live in canada and am an amateur astronomer , did you know you see stars and stuff that we dont see, such as the galaxies the small and large magellanic clouds,as well as you see the constellation the southern cross , we see the constellation the big dipper but you dont see that one,but your milky way is brighter than ours, just some thoughts, tinnitus sufferer in canada,kevin(astronomer)

22. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Hi Kevin
      so interesting!
      I know that when we go out to the desert ( a thousand Kms away) the sky sparkles with the Southern Cross and the Milky Way.
      Just awe inspiring.
      I think we have the Little Dipper here in our skies.
      The Southern Cross was the guide to the early sailors who discovered the continent of Australia.
      Keep up your interesting work - fascinating
      Jill

23. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      jill,

thanks for your reply, it feels good to be on this forum where everyone understands each other,it is amazing what you can deal with as a human being,kevin

24. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Hi Kevin,
      you are right about understanding each other.
      I have a strong connection with Canada as my mother came from Alberta.
      My father is Australian and my husband is Canadian.
      My two kids were born in Canada and I have relatives in Canada and Australia!
      It is a bright world when two wonderful countries are joined together.
      Maybe one day you will come to Oz to see the Southern Cross.