Hi want to introduce myself, have low humming

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lana, Oct 22, 2013.

1. lana
      Balanced

lana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June/2012
      Hi I have been lurking on here for a while and feel like I know some of you! Basically I had mild tinnitus since June last year, then I started getting an awful humming sound a few months ago that comes and goes. Does anyone else have this as its supposed to be uncommon ?

2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Before I got what I now consider tinnitus (I have multi-tonal tinnitus, different pitches/noises) - I grew up with humming in my head, best way I would describe what I had would be if I were to close my mouth and go "OMMMM", sort of vibrated. I don't know what it was from but I know I have huge tonsils and adenoids, which could've played a part. Anyway I had it from when I was very young and completely habituated to it, and similar to yours it'd come and go - strange thing is that it stopped when I got what I now consider tinnitus (too many years of super loud music). I've asked a few audiologists and ENTs about it but they had no idea if it had any relevancy, meh.

Sorry I can't help out more, hope it gets better though!

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi Lana. Yes I get a low humming as well. My main tinnitus started a couple of months ago and it's a loud high pitched whistle. Over the last few weeks though I've started to get a low hum on and off. It's a bit like having a beehive in my head. Unlike my other sound, I only really notice the hum when there's no background noise.
      John

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lana
      Balanced

lana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June/2012
      Hi
      Thanks for the quick reply! Can I ask how long you had humming for? The fact that it went away is great.. Although I doubt mine will although it does sometimes go away for days. When it started it would get louder if I sat up or bent down did that happen to you? It might be blood pressure I don'tknow

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lana
      Balanced

lana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June/2012
      Hi John, still getting to grips with this site:) that must of been hard getting high pitch is bad enough ( my "other"noise is v faint ) without humming too. Which bothers you the most as I find the humming really depressing although I'm sleeping better now and i can go days without hearing it.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Lana, the high pitched whistle bothers me the most. It's much louder and is always there, though on good days it's more of a softer hiss than a whistle and then it's much easier to deal with. The hum is only there now and then and it's not so loud.
      John

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lana
      Balanced

lana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June/2012
      Hi
      was wondering you said you grew up with your humming how long did you have it for and have you ever wondered why it went away?

8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Mmm, I noticed it when I was really young, so I'd say since I was maybe 8 or 9, I'm 25 now. It would go for days, weeks and months at a time. As I got older I would notice spikes after having long music making sessions or being at clubs, drinking a lot, and heavy exercise (which was rare when I was younger, lol) but it would subside pretty quickly - to me it was very, very normal because it had literally been there most of my life and I didn't track it too thoroughly. I think body position and stress would play with how loud it was too, but I can't remember too well!

It's always strange for me to think about it now because it definitely was a form of tinnitus, but because I had it since I was so young it had absolutely no negative impact on me.

Only thing I could relate the humming I experienced to is that I grew up with enlarged tonsils and adenoids (lots of ear infections), and also found out recently I have a deviated septum, so maybe something was pressing on my eustachian tubes or something to that effect.

But yeah, I'm not sure why it went away but it did go away around the same time I got what I now consider tinnitus, multi-tonal high pitch frequencies mixed with all sorts of noise! So maybe the two are correlated but who knows really.

If it continues to worry you, get your hearing evaluated by an audiologist (if you haven't already) and then maybe visit an ENT to possible rule out any physical factors that might be influencing your hum, you could probably do this with an MRI.

If you have any more questions or anything, feel free to pm me!

9. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I have this humming, which just started after getting tinnitus. I also just found out I have a deviated septum. Has anyone told you it has to do with Eustachian tube dysfunction?