High or Low Frequencies, Which Causes Most Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joell, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have two questions:

1:
      Which causes most damage on our hearing, high or low frequencies of sound? Lets say that i protect my ears when i go to the concert och club, but there is still an amount of low frequencies that the earprotection does not stop.

2: How is it that my tinnitus is higher in volume after a night out, even if i used earplugs with a -25db filter in them. Its enough to go to a crowded bar with a decibel level that should not really be harmful. But still it increases my tinnitus.

Anybody have an idea about it ?

2. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      I used to assume high frequencies were more damaging until I did some low frequency damage and from my reading both are equally damaging, with low frequencies being able to pass through objects better and so potentially even more damaging. That bass is nice but beware.

I don't think sound levels need to be at so called harmful level to spike t, but hopefully the spike recedes fairly quickly if its not too loud

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yeah thats what i also thought.

Im a little bit afraid that the spike wont recide some day, you know. Just like i got tinnitus in the first place. The tinnitus gets louder and the brain remembers the new level of tinnitus and it gets permanent. Scary stuff

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Your highs get cut by foam more. I would prefer those plugs over the the er-25 for a bar (though I probably wouldn't go). Just make sure you get that foam deep.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Soulstation:

I should really try the foam type.. Since the ER does not do the trick really

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I have a bachelor degree in physics. My guess would be that high frequencies cause more damage since energy in a wave increases with frequency. However, the energy depends more on amplitude, since energy is proportional to the square of the amplitude. Amplitude resembles loudness in a sound wave, so loudness is more damaging than high frequency. That means a loud low frequency wave can easially be more damaging than a lower high frequency wave. But for two waves with same loudness, the high frequency wave does the most damage. I think the low frequency waves can appear to be more damaging, since theyre usually louder. I guess very loud high frequent sounds are pretty rare

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Oh my god. I've experienced the "T beyond T" and mine was caused by bass. The damage was done thru bone conduction while I was wearing plugs AND a headset. I wrote about it .. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/mega-t.3782/

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jesse,

Amplitude make sens.. But then its really hard to tell when the amplutude of a frequency is harmful. The higher frequencies can actually be painful to the ear when the volume is high enough. But the bass never hurt, it just feels good. When i think back on it, the bass frequencies ive experienced on a lot of concerts or clubs is incredible in power.

Thats why im so tired of doctors and their advice. Because ive heard my whole life that its the higher freq. that makes the most damage.. Im really pissed of the apathy and the lack of caring from medical doctors.

I who love music:
      Really relevant story there.. Even if we love music, its NOT worth the risc of getting more tinnitus ..

This situation is fucked man.. its like im allergic to music.. and music was/is my whole life.. playing and listening to music now is more dangerous that climbing mount everest you know.. Its like living in bizarro world..

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jesse,

One more thing..If higher frequencies are more dangerous.. What about the micro radiation that we are bombarded with everyday.. They have an incredible intensity even if we dont hear it.. I dont see any rational explanation that, putting a strong high frequiency-device next to your cochlea for hours every day, for ten years, and dont expect an effect from it..

10. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Microradiation are not sound waves. Its electromagnetic waves, thus we cant hear them. Sound waves are mechanical waves that manifests themself as pressure difference in a medium like air. Electromagnetic waves are different. They are ocillations of electromagnetic fields wich does not affect the cochlea the same way sound waves do. High frequent radiation waves have more energy and thus can make more damage. Gamma rays are high frequent and can make alot of damage. But the damage im talking about here are different from sound wave damage. High frequent radiation waves can penetrate our cells and do damage to inner cell structure wich can result in cancer. The more energy the radiation has, the greater risk for cell damage. Microradiation and electromagnetic waves in general does not affect our hearing like sound waves do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joell

Joell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Interesting!

then i might drop the microradiation-theory. Since its hard to accept a handicap such as this, its easy to find things to blame.. I guess its a part of our survival instincts.. You know that you get damaged/beeing attacked by something and you want to localize and neutralize the threat..

I would really like to know if tinnitus is an worldwide epidemic. And if so, what is causing it? you know.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Talking about frequency so ,why is my worsts of days is when low ,it puts my anxiety really up ,I can never raise it up either ,but on high day I can get it to drop .Why when low it goes inside the head ,any explanations from you clever ones .always a mystery ? I know several on TT get it the same as me ,has this anything to do with balance problem I have .Today is low day ,I get it maybe couple times a week .Not a good day .

• Hug Hug x 1