High-Pitch Pulsatile Tinnitus vs. The More Common Whooshing / Swooshing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Benjaminbb, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey all,

I was wondering a few things and hoping a few of you with a little more knowledge may be able to help.

I have both normal tinnitus & pulsatile tinnitus.

Who else has a high pitch (8 kHz-15 kHz) pulsatile tinnitus vs. the more common whooshing and swooshing?

I've seen a few of you mention high-pitch pulsatile tinnitus and was wondering did any of you tie it into acoustic trauma or hearing loss?

My understanding was pulsatile tinnitus is NEVER tied to hearing loss but I wanted to clear this up if any of you know.

Otherwise are there any other ideas as to why blood flow would create such a high pitch chirp as opposed to the obvious whooshing of a nearby artery?

Mine is personally about 10 kHz, in sync with my heartbeat and comes and goes for a total of 4-6 hours a day, sometimes soft, sometimes quite loud. I cannot tie it to anything in particular and I've been journaling for quite a while on it regarding caffeine, exercise, salt.

Any pointers by anyone that was able to work out a personal trigger?

2. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      From my understanding, pulsatile tinnitus like that results from a disruption of blood flow through the head or neck. Did you have a Doppler study done on your carotids to make sure nothing is up there? Is the sound in both ears or just one?

3. JayZee
      Stressed

JayZee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nortriptyline / Hydromorphone / Unknown
      How did you determine the 10 kHz value?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Doppler study yet as it’s only a small thing. It’s in one ear only.

So what is the regular cause for lower frequency whooshing sounds? I thought that was also head and neck.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do music and can work out those frequencies pretty easily. It’s above 8 kHz for sure. Whereas most pulsatile tinnitus is a lower swoosh or whoosh that actually sounds like blood from what I gather. This sounds like a normal high pitch tinnitus modulated in volume by heartbeat. Makes me think it would have to be a pretty tiny artery. It doesn’t even have a pshhh sound to it of any sort.

6. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I have high pitch pulsatile tinnitus and also low pitch. I actually have 1-4 pulsatile sounds at a time depending on the day. All in sync with my heartbeat. I just had a CT scan done and am meeting with a neurologist. I’ll try and post something after the appointment to update. In my case it might be intracranial hypertension.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, let us know how you go. Have you had other intracranial hypertension symptoms?

8. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Sometimes I’ll have a gray streak go across my vision and I get headaches that feel like pressure.

9. WIllyC
      Balanced

WIllyC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1981
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Mine is as you describe.

I have no information for you though. I waited 2.5 months for a phone call with an ENT to determine he wants to see me in person and I get to wait another month and a half for that.

Mine comes and goes. I haven’t been able to consistently correlate it to anything. It also switches ears. Usually it’s gone in the morning.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeh same with me. Comes and goes randomly. If you start to notice any cause, let me know.