High-Res Images of Inner Ear Could Lead to New Hearing Loss Therapies

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Grant1, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Grant1

Grant1 Member

http://www.ecnmag.com/news/2014/07/high-res-images-inner-ear-could-lead-new-hearing-loss-therapies

Understanding how hearing works has long been hampered by challenges associated with seeing inside the inner ear, but technology being developed by a team of researchers that includes a biomedical engineer from Texas A&M University is generating some of the most detailed images of the inner ear to date while offering new insight into the mechanics of hearing that could lead to new therapies for hearing loss.

Employing a technique that generates high-resolution, three-dimensional images, Brian Applegate, associate professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Texas A&M, and colleagues from Stanford University are mapping the tissues within the cochlea, the portion of the inner ear responsible for hearing. Their research, which appears in the Journal of Neurophysiology, could lead to breakthroughs in understanding of cochlear function, Applegate says.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I suppose if Bill Gates would suffer from T, a cure would be available by next week... After all, with 60 billion in your wallet you can get things done and speed up the T research and development process a bit. Seriously... Where is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation with all their good work ? As far as I know not a single penny from them on T r&d. Or could it be that I'm wrong ?

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's the plan then. We kidnap Bill Gates and give him Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 3
    4. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      hmmmm, but George Sorros has already hearing loss. If I would be in such a financial position like him, I would donate 95% of what I have....

5. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    6. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's a lot better than conjuring up a cure with a shot in the dark. This needs to be priority #1, I can't imagine a cure for cancer without an MRI.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      "Hey" says the scientist looking at the first ever hi res image of a tinnitus sufferers inner ear... "what are all those tiny crickets doing in there?"

• Funny Funny x 7
    8. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Measuring nerve damage caused by noise
      In his research project, Professor Torsten Dau, DTU Electrical Engineering, wants to measure nerve damage in the ears in humans caused by noise exposure.
      “Noise in our daily surroundings has been shown to result in nerve damage on the synapses in the inner ear, which cannot be measured in ordinary hearing tests. Our project combines MRI scanning technology with audiology and neurophysiology to establish methods for measuring this nerve damage and—in the long term—treat them,” he says.

Very important research!
      Maybe it will answer my question...
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...cell-damage-and-somatosensory-tinnitus.25129/

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Same but to research on cancer and antibiotics in the first hand.

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Nah he just spends his money screwing people over. I'd be genuinely shocked if he would use his wealth to actually benefit humanity.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Furthermore the most promising project to objectify hair cell damage resp. damage of the inner ear....