High-Res Images of Inner Ear Could Lead to New Hearing Loss Therapies

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Grant1, Jul 13, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Grant1

Grant1 Member

http://www.ecnmag.com/news/2014/07/high-res-images-inner-ear-could-lead-new-hearing-loss-therapies

Understanding how hearing works has long been hampered by challenges associated with seeing inside the inner ear, but technology being developed by a team of researchers that includes a biomedical engineer from Texas A&M University is generating some of the most detailed images of the inner ear to date while offering new insight into the mechanics of hearing that could lead to new therapies for hearing loss.

Employing a technique that generates high-resolution, three-dimensional images, Brian Applegate, associate professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Texas A&M, and colleagues from Stanford University are mapping the tissues within the cochlea, the portion of the inner ear responsible for hearing. Their research, which appears in the Journal of Neurophysiology, could lead to breakthroughs in understanding of cochlear function, Applegate says.

2. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I suppose if Bill Gates would suffer from T, a cure would be available by next week... After all, with 60 billion in your wallet you can get things done and speed up the T research and development process a bit. Seriously... Where is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation with all their good work ? As far as I know not a single penny from them on T r&d. Or could it be that I'm wrong ?

3. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's the plan then. We kidnap Bill Gates and give him Tinnitus.

4. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      hmmmm, but George Sorros has already hearing loss. If I would be in such a financial position like him, I would donate 95% of what I have....