HIPPA Ramifications & Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by svintegrity, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Does anyone know if HIPPA permits an audiologist to disclose private health information to third parties via email? This disclosure is being done in the audiologist's self interest as a marketer of Neuromonics, and is not for the purposes of my treatment. The information she is disseminating is also inaccurate. I have read up on HIPPA, but it seems as if it takes an expert to understand the intricacies of the law.

2. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      have you by any chance signed any document giving this right to your audiologist?

if not i think it's against the law. consult a lawyer and sue the audiologist. not a great way of doing business!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      svintegrity
      No Mood

svintegrity Member Benefactor

@Stink I have signed no documents with this audiologist, related to anything. I even asked for a purchase agreement for the Neuromonics device I received, and I was refused. Dealing with very loud sudden onset T is a full-time job without having to have an adversarial relationship with one of the people to whom I went for help. It makes me very sad and tired. Thank you for your response.