Hirudin/Leeches Salivary Secretion

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by EddyLee, Dec 24, 2014.

1. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      http://www.ijpsonline.com/article.a...ssue=2;spage=127;epage=137;aulast=Abdualkader

Hirudin is a naturally occurring peptide in the salivary glands of medicinal leeches that has a blood anticoagulant property

It was reported that leeches and their salivary secretion were successfully used for the treatment of tinnitus, acute and chronic otitis [95] . Leeching has been applied in sudden hearing loss. In such cases, the therapist used just two leeches; one behind the ear and the other one over the jaw in front of the ear, and the treatment was repeated 2-3 times at intervals of 3-4 days. Despite the unexplained reasons of tinnitus, leeches were proven to be of great benefits in the treatment of this disorder

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Serse
      Studious

Serse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Eddylee, I did hear a positive story about treatment of Multiple sclerosis (first hand) with leeches but not yet one for Tinnitus.

The info you mention comes from:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3757849/

Hematophagous animals including leeches have been known to possess biologically active compounds in their secretions, especially in their saliva. The blood-sucking annelids, leeches have been used for therapeutic purposes since the beginning of civilization. Ancient Egyptian, Indian, Greek and Arab physicians used leeches for a wide range of diseases starting from the conventional use for bleeding to systemic ailments, such as skin diseases, nervous system abnormalities, urinary and reproductive system problems, inflammation, and dental problems. Recently, extensive researches on leech saliva unveiled the presence of a variety of bioactive peptides and proteins involving antithrombin (hirudin, bufrudin), antiplatelet (calin, saratin), factor Xa inhibitors (lefaxin), antibacterial (theromacin, theromyzin) and others. Consequently, leech has made a comeback as a new remedy for many chronic and life-threatening abnormalities, such as cardiovascular problems, cancer, metastasis, and infectious diseases. In the 20thcentury, leech therapy has established itself in plastic and microsurgery as a protective tool against venous congestion and served to salvage the replanted digits and flaps. Despite the efficacious properties of leech therapy, the safety, and complications of leeching are still controversial.

Then the information you mention:

Audiology and ear abnormalities:
      It was reported that leeches and their salivary secretion were successfully used for the treatment of tinnitus, acute and chronic otitis[95]. Leeching has been applied in sudden hearing loss. In such cases, the therapist used just two leeches; one behind the ear and the other one over the jaw in front of the ear, and the treatment was repeated 2-3 times at intervals of 3-4 days. Despite the unexplained reasons of tinnitus, leeches were proven to be of great benefits in the treatment of this disorder[17].

See also: 17. Michalsen A, Roth M, Dobos G, Aurich M. Stattgurt, Germany: Apple Wemding; 2007. Medicinal Leech Therapy. [Ref list]

And here another medical report: https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/278932
      Abstract
      Medicpal leeches (Hirudo medicinalis) and the native secretion of their sali-vary glands diluted with saline (5 times) were successfully used for the treatment of some ear diseases: tinnitus caused by inner-ear affections, acute external otitis and chronic Otitis media. The effect of diluted leech saliva injected into the region of the mastoid process by microelectrophoresis was 25-30% lower than that of the medicinal leeches.

Somehow I'm too scared to try a treatment with leeches yet, though from what I heard the treatment is not painful.
      And they breed the medicinal leeches in e.g. Germany in special centers.

Anyway if I would hear about some succes stories here be sure that it would help with Tinnitus I would probably try it!
      Only I did not yet hear success stories here from treatment with leeches.
      Anybody ??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      Do docs actually still use leeches? Does this work?

4. Serse
      Studious

Serse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Hotaru,

Yes, there are official accredited docs who use leeches. For example in the netherlands there is Dr Gilazowa http://www.gilazowa.nl . She uses medicinal leeches for treatment of T (and some other..)

In Germany and Austria leeches are also used, even much more then in the Netherlands.

You can read also an article here about the comeback of leeches within the medical world: http://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-leech-therapy
      Leeches have been used in medicine since the beginning of human civilization. They’ve been used to treat a variety of ailments, including nervous system abnormalities, dental problems, skin diseases, and infections.

Today, they’re mostly used in plastic surgery and other microsurgery
      . This is because leeches secrete peptides and proteins that work to prevent blood clots. This keeps blood flowing to wounds to help them heal.
      But leech therapy is seeing a revival due to its simple and inexpensive means of preventing complications.

Here another article, where you read that leeches were used for treatment of ear infections.
      http://www.livescience.com/203-maggots-leeches-medicine.html

National Geographic has also made a movie about the subject:

And here another german movie about pain treatment with leeches.
      Blutegeltherapie Blutegelbehandlung bei...

Here another movie in which they show T treatment with leeches unfortunately the movie does not give so much information ;-(
      Blutegel Therapie bei Tinnitus

So my regular doctor says I should not try this leech therapy, and I'm also scared to try it.
      but if I know or hear of success stories from persons on this forum that could probably change my opinion ..

5. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Anybody here tried leeches?

I just ordered 3 little suckers and they should arrive just in time for a weekend self treatment.

I will report if they are worth their money.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Alright, I'm curious.

7. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So yesterday I gave the leeches last supper.

I had 3 leeches sucking close to my ear. One little bastard opted for my ear lobe.

Well, it was a funny and a bit scary experience. Not painful at all, but it's really bleeding a lot even after the leeches are done.

Unfortunately It didn't do anything remarkable for my T.

Maybe I give it a second try sometime. But I don't expect much.
      Application is easy if somebody helps you and it's only 20bucks.
      Maybe somebody else wanna try.

Attached Files:

8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Lol I've now seen everything!

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heh, I'll give it a shot. Schick mir die dinger.

10. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, I'm going to see if I can find someone to perform this treatment on me. I fired off an email earlier.

11. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Haha, die haben erst in 1 Jahr wieder Hunger.

Maybe you can get them from online pharmacy as well. Application is easy and fun.

12. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey mate,

Pls let me know about your results.
      Right now Im thinking about giving it another shot in about 2 weeks

13. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Will do. Still trying to find someone, or a clinic, that does this sort of procedure.

14. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I tried 3 applications with a doctor, 1st time felt fine, but 2 others left me with a higher pitch of current noise and 5 enlarged lymph nodes.. I'm 3 weeks in my new state of T, and praying the noise eventually subsides... :( regrets...