Holy Basil Extract (Tulsi) for Anxiety and Better Sleep

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by patty, Apr 29, 2014.

1. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I just read about Holy Basil and went out and purchased it. It is supposed to lower cortisol levels which would help with sleeping. Sometimes due to poor sleeping, I feel like I have extra cortisol running through my body, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Anyone try Holy Basil? Thanks :)

Holy Basil on Amazon

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @patty,

Yes, I used Holy Basil for quite awhile during the first year my tinnitus became more intense. The holy basil was very calming, and it really helped me through the anxiety and other issues I had at that time. I also experienced adrenal fatigue at the same time, and I think that the Holy Basil helped that, as well (since it lowers cortisol levels).

It worked well for me, so I would suggest you could try it and see if it works for you.

I'll be interested to hear back from you after you've been taking it for awhile, if you decide to go that route.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wonder if I should take it at bedtime for sleeping. In your experience with Holy Basil, when is the best time to take it?

Thanks.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This was a couple of years ago, but if I remember correctly, I took two capsules twice a day. (It depends on the brand; follow the instructions on the back of the bottle). I took two at lunchtime, as it says you are supposed to take it with food, and two after dinner. I believe it really helped me get through that awful period of anxiety, panic, and stress without having to resort to anti-anxiety drugs. The brand I took was New Chapter, but Swanson's makes a less-expensive full spectrum product that you can order online.

Good luck! I hope it helps you with sleeping and stress.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Karen

I am thinking about taking Holy Basil. Can you remember how long you took it for? Do you know if it is safe for long term usage?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took Holy Basil for about 6 months. I don't know of any problems in taking it long-term, but it would be a good idea to do some research, to make sure it doesn't interact with anything else you're taking.

I really liked holy basil, and found it to be very calming. I couldn't have gotten through those first awful months of pulsatile tinnitus and increased tinnitus without it!

7. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks. I've ordered some online and will try it. I'm not taking anything else at the moment other than chamomile tea.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope it will be helpful to you! You are wise not to take too many supplements all at once, so that you can tell if the Holy Basil is effective for you.

Good luck!

9. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Tip for anyone in need for a new "sleep aid" to try out, with little to non side effects (at least to me/in my experience):

I can highly recommend Holy Basil Extract (Tulsi). Especially if you experience a lot of anxiety as a result of for instance tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I don't take it at the moment as I fall asleep and sleep well 9 out of 10 days for the time being, but I have it in my cabinet if in need...

Before Holy Basil Extract (Tulsi), I tried most other herbal remedies for sleep, as well as Melatonin, but with no particular effect.

Anyways, Holy Basil Extract is not a typical sleep aid, but a remedy to reduce stress and anxiety through lowering/normalize your cortisol levels. When your stress levels are "normalized", your sleep cycle will eventually normalize - at least get better.

Parkinson's Resource: Holy Basil to Beat Stress and Sleep Better

10. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      This is very interesting. You say this is the only herbal that has really helped in this regard? That's quite an endorsement. I may consider purchasing this to try.

Did you take it as a capsule or tincture? Also, could this be something you take during the day?

11. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Drachen

For me it was the only supplement that helped me in regards to bring my cortisol levels down so that I was able to sleep again during my most stressful times. And I have tried many over a period of time.

I took it in capsule form; 500mg extract. You could also add a cup of Tulsi tea before bed.

Yes, you could take another 500mg during the day.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    12. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Thank you again for your help. One more question, if you don't mind: do the effects happen on that day, or is this something you need to have build-up in your system over time before seeing any effect?

13. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normally, in regards to normalizing your cortisol, and thus stress levels, you need 2 weeks. Depends on the "severity".

BUT, you may get an effect in only a few days. Again, this boils down to each individual and your personal response to it.

I'd say it's definitely worth a shot if you are stressed out and feel anxious due to tinnitus, hyperacusis or similar - and struggle with calming down and falling asleep/sleeping.

Do not mix it though with a bunch of other supplements, herbal remedies, medicine etc.

14. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Drachen, have you tried Tulsi yet? Can you give us feedback?

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I can't find the supplement locally but am buying the tea for starters.