Holy Basil

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by patty, Apr 29, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Holy Basil on Amazon.com

Holy Basil on iHerb.com (first-time customers get $5-10 off of their order)

I just read about this supplement and went out and purchased it. It supposed to lower cortisol levels which would help with sleeping. Sometimes due to poor sleeping, I feel like I have extra cortisol running through my body, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night. Anyone try Holy Basil? Thanks.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @patty,

Yes, I used holy basil for quite awhile during the first year my tinnitus became more intense. The holy basil was very calming, and it really helped me through the anxiety and other issues I had at that time. I also experienced adrenal fatigue at the same time, and I think that the holy basil helped that, as well (since it lowers cortisol levels).

It worked well for me, so I would suggest you could try it and see if it works for you.

I'll be interested to hear back from you after you've been taking it for awhile, if you decide to go that route.

• Like Like x 1
    3. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wonder if I should take it at bedtime for sleeping. In your experience with holy basil, when is the best time to take it. Thanks.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @patty,

This was a couple of years ago, but if I remember correctly, I took two capsules twice a day. (It depends on the brand; follow the instructions on the back of the bottle). I took two at lunchtime, as it says you are supposed to take it with food, and two after dinner. I believe it really helped me get through that awful period of anxiety, panic, and stress without having to resort to anti-anxiety drugs. The brand I took was New Chapter, but Swanson's makes a less-expensive full spectrum product that you can order online.

Good luck! I hope it helps you with sleeping and stress.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Karen

I am thinking about taking holy basil. Can you remember how long you took it for? Do you know if it is safe for long term useage?

6. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I'm also interested in that

7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Aunt Sally,

I took holy basil for about 6 months. I don't know of any problems in taking it long-term, but it would be a good idea to do some research, to make sure it doesn't interact with anything else you're taking.

I really liked holy basil, and found it to be very calming. I couldn't have gotten through those first awful months of PT and increased T without it!

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks. I've ordered some online and will try it. I'm not taking anything else at the mo other than chamomile tea.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope it will be helpful to you! You are wise not to take too many supplements all at once, so that you can tell if the holy basil is effective for you.

Good luck!