Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      We need to find out exactly why Hough Ear is waiting to continue these trials. Surely it is because someone at the FDA has not given them the green light to do so. We need to figure out who that is.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I think it’s lack of funding. A phase 2 trial costs a lot... Just think of how much Frequency raised.

• Like Like x 2
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can we confirm that? If true, can we figure out exactly how much they need? If they need 100 million dollars, we aren't going to be able to donate that.

Why should a phase 2 cost so much? Press some placebo pills, get some volunteers, give the pills, and then test their hearing in a few months and report the results.

What's the cost expenditure there?

• Good Question Good Question x 7
    4. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      They have to get doctors outside the company I think. And they need to screen patients, so diagnostics and stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd say about a year closer.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
      Avi, are you taking any meds or supplements currently?

7. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Medication? No. Xanax 2-4x a month for really bad days, but nothing on the constant. Medicines do not help me, and xanax more often than what I take also worsens tinnitus.

Sometimes I take Kratom or Phenibut as well, but that does nothing for tinnitus. Rather helps my mood.

I do take Magnesium, NAC, Vitamin B12, B3, B6 and B9 on the daily. Sometimes Vitamin C and D. L-Theanine most days. I've tried many other supplements but they did nothing. Sometimes Ashwagandha.

I got hearing aids and they help like 10%... but it is an investment of a few thousand. I had to crowdfund a portion of it, so far got $770.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Lets get over this together bro. Here is some hopeful info: gabaurgic drugs are not directly ototoxic. They mess with the gabba system so the tinnitus is the result of gaba system regulating itself.

i implore you to stop any gabaurgics like the ones you are currently taking (Xan, Phenibut). It will protract the whole thing longer than it needs to be.

During the toughest of times (anxiety) I pop 200 mg of B3 (with the flush YOU WANT THE FLUSH) + 5mg melatonin + a cap with valeiran root or ashwaganda or both. Makes me feel normal for 1 hour. Sleep with seroquel.

And look into a drug called Acamprosate. It is supposed to suppress glutamate. Going to my doctor now to try to get a script.

contact me at avsula@gmail.com if you wish. I am a long time fan of your youtube channel and we can support each other. Talking to people and distracting each other from being in this state goes a long way. I'm sure you know. Once you email me we can trade numbers

• Like Like x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lets get over it by figuring out exactly who is helping us and not helping us get our hands on these hearing loss drugs.

We need to be publicly shaming everyone standing in our way, all over the internet, and giving them a chance to help us before we do. I'd like to start with David Stockdale of the BTA. That whole organization needs to change their priorities or go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      in my case i have no one but myself to blame. But if and once i make it out. I wont to make documentary and have it go just as viral as all these rap video glorifying the use of Xanax. I can't imagine how many young people having fun now will be in this shit in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So what? Many of us can only blame ourselves. Others can certainly blame other people, especially their doctors.

There is medicine sitting on shelves right now at the Hough Ear Institute that could very well heal us to some degree and we need to be doing everything we can to get that from the shelf into our mouths. We cannot accept to just wait and let the process run its course. WE CANNOT. Everyone involved in getting that to us, and the advocacy groups need to be helping make that happen ASAP. If the primary cost is FDA trial review stuff, then we cannot accept that. WE CANNOT.

People, wake up.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      What do you propose if it’s the lack of funding that’s holding Phase 2 up?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Getting as many orgs like ATA and BTA and the VA and Action on Hearing Loss etc to all help us demand the US government step down and work with us on an open phase 2 as if this is a right to try issue. If this pill treats tinnitus, why should we have to wait for big pharma to dump millions of dollars in it before we should be allowed to be healed? It exists, it is safe, we have mouths. Pill into mouth. It should be that simple.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Justin De Moss

Why not just market this pill as a supplement and make no specific claims? If it works, word of mouth will spread like wildfire.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      But they would miss out on millions of $ surely?

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This comment underscores a fundamental lack of understanding about FDA process or how such distinctions are made.

For someone who spends a whole lot of time complaining about drug trails and FDA "incompetence", "red tape" and "lobbyist influence", you don't seem to me to have spent much time actually learning about the agency, its history, its function and most importantly its processes as relates to pre-market review of health products in the US.

All of this information is very readily available online, and, in fact, many people at the FDA whose numbers are likewise easy to find, will be very happy to answer questions and talk about almost anything related to their job function that's not classified, because government functionaries in general have incredibly boring jobs and are mostly thrilled to talk to anyone who shows any interest.

By all means, continue to make eye-rolling statements rather than doing basic due diligence, but your continued confusion on these things provokes... a lot of eyerolls from anyone who's taken the time to have a basic grasp of the regulatory framework we're operating in.

I'm not trying to be mean. I had a lot of these same misgivings and questions when I was entering the UMich trial with a very blurry understanding of how/if/when something might eventually make it to market, and I had a good deal of frustration that I couldn't just "keep the trial device, it works". But, after 6 months of calming myself down, understanding FDA protocols, understanding how to get personal exemptions in them when possible -- I feel both better educated and a lot more relaxed about the trajectory all this research is on.

I don't love the FDA; there's much I would change. However, compared to countries where random people with online degrees are allowed to operate "tinnitus laser clinics" with impunity and no disclaimers? That is a worse situation.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I honestly think it’s just a marketing strategy. I’m not sure how much money has to go into processes like these to start a phase 2 of clinical trials but I do agree that word needs to get out about this. It’s just annoying how so many famous people suffer from tinnitus as well yet none of them contribute to funding labs that potentially already have the cure.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "Phase II studies may cost as much as $20 million, and Phase III as much as $53 million"
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phases_of_clinical_research

• Like Like x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you love the FDA so much then why don't you marry it?

upload_2019-10-17_13-59-42.png

Not only are our ears ringing but so are wedding bells apparently.

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    20. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      There are a lot of "tinnitus cures" out there already that don't work and they are allowed to market them as such. I like this idea... They could charge as much as they wanted and if it worked people would buy it.

Really though we should just get on with our lives and forget about these cures. Its going to be a while even if it does work. It is possible to try and lead a somewhat normal life with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Huh a second grade Photoshop of an ancient meme that more proves my point than anything else, cool. Maybe this post will provoke the same!

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used Snagit Mr. Know It All.

• Funny Funny x 2
    23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Or, you know. even if it didn't work. But they hired a couple people to post all around the internet about how well it does work

Just like already happens with every product/pill/etc that's not under FDA process.

24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fine with me. We already know crap like Ring Relief doesn't work. One more supplement on the market isn't going to hurt my feelings so long as we can get our hands on it and try it ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I've been using PixlR for years because I am old and set in my ways but I gotta switch to something else because flash is finally, thankfully, being killed off completely.

Cool, well, agree to disagree, then, and that'll matter as soon as one of us makes it to FDA director.

Which could be any day, I guess, at the rate we're purging cabinet members.

To be clear my worry would less be some basically inert snake oil landing on the market, vs some weird kv7 drug that initially reduces tinnitus and then, say, gives you brain cancer or whatever. Research good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed.... just like it happens already, but... the negative reviews would outweigh the positive reviews and we would eventually know.
      Heck maybe as a placebo it helps .0001 percent of the population. It might be worth it for that alone.

When I had serious depression over this, the doc gave me depression medication. He told me it would work and I believed him. After a week I told him that it worked and I felt 100 percent better. Then he says, its not supposed to work that fast....It was too late, it had worked and I had been tricked. I spent a long time feeling sick and I had tried everything to get better until finally giving in and taking meds. Just a funny but true story.

27. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Literal placebos are already super available, we don't need ones that are actually psychoactive and also untested in humans and might make your nips fall off or w/e

ee5b77af-c717-4bc5-af81-055e6686cf0a_1.575569618b8756915687c2a11577d35c.jpg

want sugar pills specific for your ears? we got sugar pills specific for your ears! Come on down to crazy bob's snake oil warehouse where you can overpay for non-treatments for literally every disease

• Like Like x 2
    28. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good point. I want the T to go away, but not at the expense of my health. I have it and I hate it, but it is a part of me now and I know its not going away anytime soon. I'd risk certain trials though just to help further the cause, even if it was at my expense. We are all on the same page even as I see the discussions/arguments back and forth.

• Like Like x 2
    29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They already did the safety trial for this. It's safe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look what you're arguing against. Your position is just sit down and shut up and let the process run its course and do nothing because the process is perfect.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1