How Are People with “Mild” Tinnitus Able to Continue to Visit Bars, Concerts, Shoot Guns, etc?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yuuls, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ever since getting my tinnitus, I’ve realized it’s fairly common. I work in a fairly small office, and 3 of us have it (all in our mid twenties). I’m sure others have it as well, it just hasn’t been discussed as I’m not on that level of “closeness” with them

There are also so many instances of people on here mentioning that they have many people in their lives who also have tinnitus (brothers, sisters, aunts, coworkers, etc) who continue to go to loud bars, concerts, shoot guns, etc.

Why is it that those people don’t have spikes? Why are they not freaking out? Is Tinnitus that has been around forever just not as likely to spike? Say that someone got it from a ton of ear infections as a baby.

I wake up in a haze every morning and feel as if I am part of a very bad dream and I can’t shake this feeling. I know it’s important to take life one day at a time and worrying about the future isn’t logical as I could have a heart attack and die tomorrow. But this thing hit me hard and I’m struggling a lot psychologically, and have been pondering on the meaning of life itself and how my future will pan out from here on out.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Exhibit A

A87CE903-0C8B-4186-9049-AD74B8AB83D0.jpeg

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The answer to your question:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      It's a bit of a mystery. I first got tinnitus about 8-9 years ago but was informed by my GP that it wasn't anything to worry about and I had 'no damage' so I carried on as usual with headphones, clubs etc with seemingly no adverse consequence. My tinnitus hasn't got worse but about 4 years ago I had my first bout of hyperacusis. Since then, I've learned about ear protection, use ear plugs accordingly and don't go to clubs anymore etc.

I think some people just happen to be plain lucky - one of my best friends has had tinnitus since he was 8 (from an acoustic trauma) and has no problems with noise. It caught up with me and probably does for many others yet on the other hand there are people who can continue to abuse their ears for years, even decades w/o worsening after acquiring tinnitus. I think even Liberman stated that there is an enormous level of variation between those who have 'tough' ears and those with 'tender ears.'

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So your tinnitus hasn’t gotten worse in the last 8-9 years other than the hyperacusis?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t know who to believe or what is over reacting and what isn’t and it’s literally driving me insane. I’m tired of being a hermit at home, this is so lonely

But I am so afraid of making it worse and not knowing what can make it worse is so hard (besides the obvious concerts/places with loud music)

Literally everything is loud. Restaurant, movies, bowling, bars, theater, gyms. There’s even people who mention that the mall can be damaging. How are we supposed to live this way??

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      No, my tinnitus (thankfully) hasn't ever got worse although it would spike after going somewhere like a club but then always return to baseline. I only really hear it at night. Tbh the hyperacusis is what bothers me more as even though it's relatively mild it's very uncomfortable when it flares up (I get lingering burning/pain etc). It's definitely the more anxiety-provoking one of the two for me - if I go to loud places, I worry more about the hyperacusis flaring up than the tinnitus spiking tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What does your tinnitus sound like?

I also think I have a bit of hyperacusis but at the same time I don’t know if it’s actual hyperacusis or anxiety.

9. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Probably don’t have spikes as they have not damaged their ears as much as you and me and don’t struggle with reactive tinnitus. If you have Hyperacusis too then that is a game changer. I had Tinnitus that has got worse due to loud events and this finally broke the camels back and end up with Hyperacusis (as well as very loud tinnitus) as while being careful with noise I wasn’t as cautious as others. My ears actually hurt now and having burning sensations in both ears, With tinnitus patience is the key especially at the initial stages.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Read all of @Lex's posts in the thread below:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ce-onset-almost-a-year-ago.22718/#post-261301
      Keep in mind that when a sound is said to be dangerous/safe, it won't be dangerous (or safe) 100% of the time. It will not harm some people (Eventually some of the people in this group will get harmed), and it will harm others. There is only one way to find out which group you belong to. If you take a risk and it doesn't work out for you, please share your experiences on this forum, so that others can learn from your mistake.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t seem to get spikes from malls. Lately I’ve been going to the mall or random stores just to occupy myself so I don’t die of boredom. I did walk by one of those “children's playpen” things in the mall, filled with the shrill voices of 20+ kids and I SPED by as fast as possible.

I’ve been “out” on three occasions since the onset of my tinnitus.
      -once for a work holiday party. Didn’t involve booming speakers or anything but it was in a bar setting. My tinnitus didn’t seem noticeably louder the next day.

-another time for New Year's. I was in a beach town with family, and we stumbled upon a street fair. It was SO insanely loud, they had a span of about 3 blocks blocked off, 3 stages for local bands/acts to play on. I wore my foam earplugs. I had an anxiety attack that night from being overwhelmed at feeling “disabled”.

-went out with friends a few weeks ago. Mostly breweries. One got a bit too loud for my comfort towards the end (it was empty when we got there) but luckily we were already leaving. Ended up drinking a ton and don’t remember how loud the last place was to be honest. But the other places never really felt overly loud and I was prepared with ear plugs.

My tinnitus did seem a bit louder the next day, but I was also extremely hungover and throwing up over the course of the day. So could have been due to the alcohol/headache/inflammation. Lesson learned from here on out, not to get overly drunk so I don’t let my guard down and do something stupid.

I am staying away from any club like bars, clubs, concerts, anything where I see huge speakers I literally run away from.

I am waiting for my employer to complete my insurance application so I can get custom ear plugs from an Audiologist.

• Hug Hug x 1