How Are You Successful at Work with Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Enrique, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      I just graduated college and will start applying to jobs. I have hearing loss in both ears with the left being worse than the right. I do have hearing aids which only help minimally in quiet environments. I fear I won't be able to keep a job due to my hearing loss and tinnitus. Do any of you that have both hearing loss and tinnitus have success at work?

2. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I have T but no appreciable hearing loss. That being said, I know (or knew) people that had hearing loss and with hearing aids they functioned well at work. I have even worked with two people that are completely blind and you would not have a clue when you speak with them or communicate by e-mail.

If you are really concerned, see an employment attorney for advice. It shouldn't cost a lot and they can advise you on the best course to take during interview and the ADA.

And hey, if I recall, you have had tinnitus during your last year of college and yet you still graduated! Didn't hold you back getting your degree, so it shouldn't hold you back in performing in your job.

Good luck, and welcome to the Rat Race!

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You may get help from a Deaf society. I am an interpreter for the Deaf and work for those who were born profoundly Deaf or went Deaf early in life and use sign language to communicate. I don't know how things work in other countries but here we have deaf clubs and societies that work to help deaf ones get work and make sure they are not discriminated against. Of course going deaf later in life or being hard of hearing is very different and Deaf people have their own culture. But if you contacted some they may be able to give you some encouragement and suggestions on how they cope in the workplace.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Thanks @pef it's really encouraging to hear that! Since I struggle at my current job it worries me for any future employment opportunities but then again I do work in loud environments. I didn't think about seeking advice from an employment attorney, should be helpful. Thanks again!

@Mad maggot I did think about doing that but someone told me the deaf community would be insulted and would not accept me since I still have hearing left and my culture is completely different from theirs. I'll give it a try. Should I just google and look for deaf societies in my area? Or is there any other way you would better suggest?

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have significant T and no significant HL.

It has not been any obstacle to a successful career.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Strictlyt

Strictlyt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      The main problem I found with T was working in quiet offices where you could hear a pin drop. If you can listen to music in headphones it's not so bad, but a couple of places were awful. To be honest though it may have been more of a problem because I found the job boring and the atmosphere in these offices very depressing.

My advice would be to find something you enjoy doing, so it can take your mind off the at completely. Now I'm a teacher it never even crosses my mind at work apart from the occasional spikes that usually accompany a cold or illness.

7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Strictlyt, 'The main problem I found with T was working in **quiet offices** where you could hear a pin drop.'

I think this is a great example for **standard T** because for those that suffer from **killer reactive T** it's exactly the opposite, every normal ambient sound makes our T explode beyond sanity. And it seems that there's no limit to the volume!
      I wanted to point this out cos many don't understand/know about it.

Due to **killer reactive T** I can't work anymore. Well, I can't do the things I did prior to T. Worse, sleep eludes me.

Thus I prefer to be outdoor in nature as much as possible. Everything else is just hell. I was grocery shopping the other day and it's killing me!

@Enrique, you just graduated college so you should have any issues finding a good job.