How Bad Is My Tinnitus? How Do You Rate Yours?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Meirion, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      I'm trying to figure out how bad my tinnitus is at the moment to be able to know where I'm at with it to feedback to ENT / Audiologist when I eventually get my appointment on NHS. I've heard people mention mild, moderate, severe etc and give it scores out of 10, and trying to figure out how people determine how bad their tinnitus levels are?

For 8 years I believe I had mild tinnitus as I barely noticed it in the day, only in a quiet environment which it would seem quite loud - a high pitched hiss in both years. But I could mask it with a sound machine - Sea Sounds/Waves at 15% volume (Sound Oasis)

I spiked my tinnitus about 2 months ago from noise exposure and the tinnitus is now at a level that I can hear it prominently most of the time, whilst watching TV at 25% volume / approx 40 dB (TV doesn't mask it even if turned louder). But I can't hear it when I take a shower and the only thing that seems to mask it at night is a recording of shower noise played at fairly low volume on my tablet, around 15 to 20% volume. I would say I can't hear the tinnitus when walking near busy roads/traffic in the city, but will definitely hear it on quieter roads with a few cars.

How do you rate your level of tinnitus? Do you measure it somehow, measuring decibel levels of the masking sound? I have constant same-level tinnitus, similar frequency in both ears and I appreciate that some people will have more complicated sounds that you may not be able to mask.

Thanks

2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Tinnitus is, to some extent certainly, individual, which is why people use things like the THI (Tinnitus Handicap Index) to measure it, which will give you a score out of 100. The higher the score, the worse it is perceived by you and affecting your life. This is why the BTA constantly tell people "it's not the level of the tinnitus, it's your reaction to it" that matters.

The problem with that is that some people have pitch matched their tinnitus to 90 dB drills going off and have found it unmaskable standing by the motorway. Nobody in their right mind would think that's not a massive, debilitating problem that few could stand.

So therein lies the problem. If you think it's massively debilitating, it is, even if it's milder than the sound someone else hears.

Based on what you've said, I personally would say your tinnitus is moderate and about the same level in volume as mine - I can hear it in quiet rooms (35-45 dB), struggle a bit to hear it in busy crowded rooms (50-60 dB), can't hear it in busy traffic or the gym (7o-85 dB). Of course, if you're coping well and not affected by it, this will result in a lower THI score and be seen as milder.

I don't think anyone with mild tinnitus would be bothered enough to register with this board - although I'm sure it happens in a minority of cases. One audiologist said he met a patient with a THI score of 6. Like bruv, why did you come here?

The audiologist I am seeing played masking noises at increasing volumes until we found one that adequately masked the tinnitus. Your audiologist could do the same.

How long is the waiting time on the NHS?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Thanks for the reply. I would say that I'm at a similar level to where you're at and agree with your comments. I did think moderate before posting today, but at the onset of the spike I would have described it as severe dentist drill tinnitus. It still seems that way in a quiet room though, but have found the shower sound even at low volume to help significantly with sleep, so am definitely not at 90dB drill severity.

I would imagine the ENT/audiologist will take 4 months or more. It took 6 months when I first got tinnitus. But because it was mild by then due to some habituation they only did a hearing test and sent me on my way. But I'm finding the new level of tinnitus difficult to live with so far. If it's still at the same level by my appointment I think I might consider TRT or white noise generators if offered. Although I've read that this might only be offered when tinnitus is considered severe.

4. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      It's still awful at moderate levels. I'm glad you're able to sleep, even if you need the shower sound.

I was offered hearing aids with white noise, but then I did not go through the NHS, so maybe they're just trying to make money off me. They seem to help slightly, but I do also have some hearing loss. 4 months is a long time! Hopefully you'll habituate before then.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      Getting some sleep has made a big difference. This wasn't the case a few weeks ago though and I was surviving on about 12 hours of sleep per week. I'm sure most people here have gone through the same.

I did think to look into hearing aids with white noise myself, but last time I saw the audiologist they said I only had slight hearing loss at the higher frequencies. Not sure If I have further hearing loss by now to justify the hearing aids. Maybe I should visit somewhere like Amplifon for a free hearing test whilst waiting for NHS appointment.

Thanks. I'm hoping to habituate again and need to keep positive.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma