How Can I Stop Listening to My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sanj100, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, it seems easier to habituate to if it's in your ear. It's probably easier when it's not in the dog whistle range too...

Does yours actually move back and forth from your head to your ear?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes, it does move from my ear to head. Sometimes it seems to come from my good ear, too.

Mine is also very high pitch. A dog whistle is a good analogy. I’ve tried cicada and cricket white noise and both are a lower pitch.

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I get mid-high range white noise when I wake up, after a few hours it changes frequencies to a dog whistle type of noise. On a good day, once in a while, it settles down for a couple of hours in the late evening and I will experience a bit of quiet or near quiet.

4. Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress

Hey Sonny!

I have the same problem but I am actually starting to see the light. My situation is not bad at all but OCD and anxiety are being bullies. I combat this by having the tv on in the background, or music. I immerse myself in things that interest me. My mind then forgets about tinnitus when it has something in the background to focus on, or if my mind is directly focused on doing something. I also remind myself that this is not a deadly condition, and that so many people have way more horrific medical conditions that are actually deadly. This helps reduce my anxiety about tinnitus which helps me ignore it. I also read success stories with tinnitus as well. Some days I look up current research and current scientific efforts and get reassured with the fact that there are people working on tinnitus, and that it is very possible that in my life time great strides can be taken towards combating tinnitus, and I get thankful all over again that we have technology and knowledge today that can help humanity with medical conditions that in the past were hopeless. I also remind myself to be thankful I am alive today because in literally almost any other time period, we did not have the knowledge or technology to even come close to having what we have today to deal with tinnitus. All these things help me ignore tinnitus.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's interesting that it moves. Mine is dog whistle level that is mostly in my head (worse on the left side). When it gets bad I can almost feel it. It doesn't seem to move much, though. Do you have multiple sounds or just that one dog whistle?

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Multiple sounds. It can be very pulsatile. I find that most annoying because that rhythm gets caught in my thoughts and makes it impossible to think or hear.

I have severe hearing loss, so that complicates everything too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      FB5183EA-2110-4599-83F4-1FF901E8145A.jpeg
      I have found that there are times when I really am a sufferer, and then there are times when I am much more of an observer, and therefore much less troubled.
      “Yea okay, the noise is still there, but it’s okay - I’m not bothered really.”
      It seems that the decision as to which way to go, is made soon after waking up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Jazzer
      Jazzer, did you ever have a serious spike?
      Did the tinnitus volume increase so much that the sufering was not optional (depending in your decision)?

9. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Philippe79 - I have noticed from time to time that the way you describe your “T” is similar to the way I think about mine.
      Perhaps the volume and intensity is about the same.

10. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Dana - I had low level Tinnitus - audible but quiet - for over twenty years - not a problem.
      Then a serious acoustic trauma in June 2014, when the level ramped up to where it is now.
      I went completely deaf in my left ear for 48 hours.
      My hearing came back, and this Tinnitus with it.
      I don’t pretend to have complete control of that lever yet, but there are definitely times when I am a sufferer, and times when I am an observer.
      ie - I’m working on it.....

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1