How Careful Should You Be?

Discussion in 'Support' started by walkthroughwalls, Jan 2, 2015.

1. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

It's been two and a half months of T and it has not gotten any better. My T is influenced by stress, jaw movement (sometimes) and maybe even moderately loud sounds.
      Maybe it's just 'good days and bad days' which I'm erroneously linking to specific events. Or maybe I do get spikes from being in a car on the motorway or playing an acoustic piano for an extended period of time.

After much consideration, I've just turned down a gig: background music, jazz, piano and double bass, 2hrs, large hall, about 500 people. Good pianist and good money. I have 25dB and yellow foam earplugs ready. Theoretically, I should be safe...

but I'm just too scared :(

Of course, according to the same theories, I should not have gotten T as I've been always careful with my ears. I've heard so much conflicting advice that I can't trust anything any more. Turning down this gig, am I being 'better safe than sorry' or 'letting T unnecessarily control my life'?

For now, I'll await the orthodontists new plans (early February) as my misaligned jaw does not seem to correct itself after my teeth have been aligned. One month later I have two hospital visits which will hopefully lead to more information. I hope someone's finally willing to investigate my T in relation to my jaw.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're a bass player?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I've got degrees in double bass and bass guitar. Both jazz.

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Dude just jump in the water eventually. IMO the chances are your T is not going to resolve on its own - I know about turning down gigs as you've read my posts... If you know its safe - not insanely loud and worth it. Do it next time.
      If you want to pm me or Skype I'd be happy to chat on this subject and feel like I could help.