How Common Tinnitus Actually Is?

Discussion in 'Support' started by nogood, May 27, 2015.

?

Do you know anyone personally who has tinnitus?

1. Yes, one

2. Yes, more than one

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Interesting enough, after I spoke to couple of friends of mine I found out that one of them has tinnitus for two years, reason - dental surgery for removing wisdom tooth, the doctor dislocated his jaw to remove the teeth and he has been having this issue since then. His tinnitus sounds EEEE or SSSSHH.

The second one: her family line got this issue, her father has it and her brother has it too. She says it comes and goes especially when she feels dizzy or stressed. I checked her blood work she is anemic and physically weak, guess it is no surprise for her why it comes and goes. Kinda happy at least for her it disappears after a while. Hers sounds more like ringing.

I have been talking to my boss recently, in a way he also hinted me he also got some issues (not sure if he got tinnitus or TMJD, I was talking about both to him).

This freaking tinnitus is so much more COMMON than I actually thought, and there seems to be a relation between the T sound and the reason behind it.

• Like Like x 1
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Mild T is common. Catastrophic loud T isn't common, quite rare in fact.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Dan, it's still a small surprise for me.
      The friend with tmjd explains almost similar symptoms and sounds I have.
      For him it's only one ear. The side his jaw got dislocated by the doctor. Every day sounds cover his tinnitus, like table fan or outside ambiance. He is only bothered by it when no other sound to distract him.
      Good thing both my friends don't experience spikes or need pills to sleep or other treatments. They just simply move on with their life.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yep, thats very mild T.